Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had some custom furniture made (walnut), and I am going to finish it with a dark stain followed by spraying either lacquer or a polyurethane. I have experience spraying polyurethane on doors, but have never done a fine finish on furniture. We own an air assisted sprayer, but I have never used it. So, my questions:

1. is the fine finish acquired with an air assisted exponentially better than that of the airless with a fine finish setup? and, 2. What kind of learning curve am I looking at with the airless?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Typically furniture is finished with HVLP or Conventional sprayers.

I can use an airless to give the same finish but I have been spraying for 16 years. If you have never used an airless you should try it out before you mess up your project.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,019 Posts
Yes, AAA is much better to spray just about anything over airless or HVLP or siphon. The setups are getting much better. Transfer efficiencies near 85%, low overspray and a very soft spray. The material comes out of a AAA at about 2 MPH. It will get into corners much better because there is much less turbulence. It is what I woudl use. (and do)

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I would use the poly, laquer doesnt react well with moisture.
Keep your material pressure low and adjust the air to your liking, I have seen alot of guys who use an AAA who have the pressure way too high for fine finish, kinda defeats the purpose.
IMO the hardest thing to spray is the inside of a box, hitting all 5 sides without getting a run is tricky, take your time and go with thin coats would be my advice.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
49,019 Posts
Professional pre cat and post cat lacquers and conversion varnishes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts