Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
sole proprietor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a contractor that just started getting into painting. can you give me advice on additives for my paint or some routine maintenance I need to keep my sprayer going or just general advice on using this machine? I have a wagner twin stroke 9190. works great, faster than i am right now!!

·
sole proprietor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...

thanks for replying, i'm looking for a little more info on what parts i need to keep on hand for quick repairs, and tips on quicker cleaning methods, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know what spare parts you might need, you could just wait until something fails and then buy a couple of those parts, that would save buying parts you might never use.

On the clean up side of things, how long is it taking you to clean up now? what paints are you using, oil based or water based?

I only spray water based paint through my Titan and clean up is a doddle, I just fill a 40lt tub with water (warm water if I'm lucky) set the pump to Turbo clean and let it get on with it, gives me time to have a smoke, cup of tea and a couple of chockie biscuits. :Thumbs:

The gun and tips I just stick in a tub of water and clean that at home, hot water and a tooth brush (usually the wife's, but don't tell her ;) ) a few minutes with the brush and its clean.

The main unit I only clean the outside of it every couple of weeks, I've found if I give it a good spray with WD40 the over spray it gets on it doesn't stick much.

·
sole proprietor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That WD40 trick is a good idea!
I have run enamel, waterbased, oil and soon i will be running stain through it. it takes me about half an hour to get it flushed and take everything apart to clean. I run 100' of hose most of the time, so that takes a little longer. this takes up alot of paint thinner to run through and clean it all out. one fella mentioned that i should save the paint thinner that comes out and let it sit until the junk settles to the bottom so i can reuse it and save on that cost.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
save the paint thinner that comes out and let it sit until the junk settles to the bottom so i can reuse it and save on that cost.
We always recycle our thinner, whether cleaning sprayer or brushes. Buy and install a brass tap about half-way up on a 5 gallon bucket. Pour all your used thinner in it, and when it settles, pour some off into an empty thinner jug. Depending on how much you use it, the 5 will fill up with sludge to the tap sooner or later. Then just scrape the sludge out and start over. I reuse thinner over and over, still works the same. But I always use new thinner for a final rinse on a brush.

Now, if I can only talk the guys into tea and chockie biscuits for lunch :cheesygri

·
sole proprietor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's just crazy enough to work

brass tap, eh? now that's a slick idea, Pro! got another question. do you use denatured alcohol once in a while to clean out gummy latex residue in the paint sprayer? I thought I had read that someplace. can't remember exactly where.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
We always recycle our thinner, whether cleaning sprayer or brushes. Buy and install a brass tap about half-way up on a 5 gallon bucket. Pour all your used thinner in it, and when it settles, pour some off into an empty thinner jug. Depending on how much you use it, the 5 will fill up with sludge to the tap sooner or later. Then just scrape the sludge out and start over. I reuse thinner over and over, still works the same. But I always use new thinner for a final rinse on a brush.

Now, if I can only talk the guys into tea and chockie biscuits for lunch :cheesygri

Wow! That's a GREAT idea. I'm going to do that this weekend and try it out. I always wondered how others were handling the thinner/disposal issue. You don't need to dispose of it if you can keep using it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts