Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Looking at the small bucket they were filling up with plastic chips, I think it would take all day to use for clean up. I use a shovel and fill a five gallon bucket in about one minute. Although if you have to fill a pot from up high it could be one way to go. I think it would still be quicker to lift a few fifty pounders up on to a platform then climb up and dump the bags in. A lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought and returned an Exair air conveyor. It will move the glass abrasive but it is painfully slow. I even bought the smooth inner wall tubing from them(not returnable) to attach to the air conveyor. I think it was the 2" HD stainless steel unit that I bought. I ran 1/2" air line to power it and it just didn't cut it. I was pretty pumped up when I saw these but that soon went away once I hooked it up and ran it. I even mentioned it on this forum and someone told me it wouldn't work. They are a good company to deal with, very helpful, and they said return it with no questions asked if it didn't work. Told them what i wanted to do with it and went with the one they recommended.

To tell you the truth I am using an Oneida Dust Deputy that I took off my woodworking tools to transfer the abrasive now.
http://www.oneida-air.com/category.asp?Id={CC6B6F2A-E3D7-4F18-A53C-B5C357DFE131}
I am using a Craftsman shop vac and transfer the glass from the super sack to the 5 gallon buckets that I carry my abrasive in. It will fill a 5 gallon bucket (50#) in about 45 seconds or less. This is just the small plastic cyclone and there are much larger units. I might move to the steel 4" model and use a woodworking vac(http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html) to power it. I have moved abrasive as far as 10' away with the shop vac through PVC pipe but it slows it down since it has to carry it straight up first and then along the ceiling. The static electricity is pretty strong when you run it through PVC pipe. Tried 2 shop vacs but that wasn't any faster. They were close in size to each other but not exact and it slowed the transfer time down. Works for me and I'm tweaking it as I go.

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts