Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got air only in the return lines, it's gurgling slightly. Been doing so for 4 hours

I just replaced the sand in the filter today, checked everything everything for possible leaks and can't find anything. I did have one, the collar on top of the sand filter and tightened that up.

Salt generator shows the flow is good, so I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've got air only in the return lines, it's gurgling slightly. Been doing so for 4 hours

I just replaced the sand in the filter today, checked everything everything for possible leaks and can't find anything. I did have one, the collar on top of the sand filter and tightened that up.

Salt generator shows the flow is good, so I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?
I've become a pool expert over the years :rolleyes: Is it above or below ground . Return lines are a PITA especially if you have a some what complex setup as I do . I'd start with the diverter valve which is usually the first valve out of the pool . They usually last around 10 years . If it's old chuck it if not take it apart and change the o rings . The next place I'd check is the leaf basket connected to the pump.Under the cover to the basket is a rubber gasket that dries out if you don't lube it with vaseline . If it feels dried out replace it . These are the more common places to check first .

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's only gurgling right at the end of the return...I'm the pool.

Filter is set to the right position.

I can't find any leaks. I may just open the sand filter again and verify I put it back right.

Any chance if I'm too high or too low with the sand quantity this could cause it?

And it's an inground concrete pool

Water quality is perfect according to the pool store, but still cloudy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is there air churning inside the pump strainer? If so you most likely have a suction side leak. Does the pool lose water when its off? You can also change out the shaft seal, they can cause air leaks and if you don't know about it it can be tough to diagnose.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a new pump at the end of last season, well August I put it in. Close to the end, I kept the pool open until October.

I changed the sand since it was 6 years old and my kid let go of the winter cover taking it off, we had about 30 gallons of leaves in the bottom of the pool we vacuumed out, couldn't get the sand filter clean after that.

Changed the sand yesterday...still waiting for the cloudy water to go away, pumps been running 28 hours straight, water looks a little better but still not great. Hopefully by tomorrow night it's better

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any air in the system will come from the suction side. Any leaks on the pressure side will be a water leak. The sand and filter will not have any effect on it. I would look into changing out the shaft seal. What type of pump is it?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It was a new pump at the end of last season, well August I put it in. Close to the end, I kept the pool open until October.

I changed the sand since it was 6 years old and my kid let go of the winter cover taking it off, we had about 30 gallons of leaves in the bottom of the pool we vacuumed out, couldn't get the sand filter clean after that.

Changed the sand yesterday...still waiting for the cloudy water to go away, pumps been running 28 hours straight, water looks a little better but still not great. Hopefully by tomorrow night it's better
You won't get crystal clean water with new sand, the gunk helps catch the fine stuff. That's why pool clarifier just gums up the filer a bit.

Just let her run and don't keep backwashing it.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fixed...

Teflon threaded fitting entering pump, re taped it...bubbles all gone.

Surprised me too, I was doing a smoke test and it wasn't sucking in there during the test. I figured I would just pull apart and check everything, the union first then this one...all good now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts