Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steel tank approx 400mm x 1000mm x 6mm wall on wheels fitted with 2 inch sockets either end that I plan to use as a water trap air dryer,
I was planning on putting desiccant inside to assist with the air drying process and have found a company over here in Oz that can supply.

There are two basic forms that the material is supplied in.
Bag form or basic granular form by the bucket in 15kg lots.

Question: I am interested to hear from anyone with experience in this area who has already done this as I am not sure which way to go? and would appreciate any help?

Thanks

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I would caution using a square tank as a pressure vessel.
Air has a high pressure per square inch. A round cylinder is the accepted shape for Pressure. Air is applied equally to all sides of the round tank.

The air volume is not like water in a tank,
Please read up on it before putting any air to it.
No one would want any one on this sight hurt.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dryer, from the way that I read the question I think the tank is round. It sounds like it is 400mm diam x 1000mm Long x 6mm thick walls. But you never know though. But I would be pretty sure that the tank is a round pressure tank. Just my 2 cents though. And I can be wrong from time to time as well. I will admit that. I'm not perfect.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I've been in the pneumatics business for over 25 yrs. Please be more specific.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Gents,Fair call.
Cheers Dyer , yes its a round pressure vessel . 400 OD
I think the head was typing faster than the fingers.:cry:

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I didn't mean to come off like a smarty pants. It was written half and half.
I just was just taking to my next door Nabors about a guy who put high psi to a square tank.
I think I had that on my mind!

I just don't want to see any one on here get hurt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a problem , you meant well!

Now back to my question?

There must be someone using this type of system out there in forum land?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well, they are out there but they are normally bought. This way they are certified and warrantied to work. Sometimes it is just not worth to build homemade. Just keep searching the Net.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have owned this unit for about 5 years and believe that it was made for the application intended.
My question relates to the use of desiccant inside the vessel and what form people use ?

Is it the bagged form?

Or the free granulated form as supplied in 15kg lots?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hoping I can contribute here...I haven't got as large of a dessicant tank as you do, I've got a much smaller unit made by Sharpe that I use ahead of my paint gun. Sharpe sells free granulated dessicant in gallon buckets, the stuff is reusable but pricey $50 for a gallon bucket IIRC. The dessicant portion of my dryer protects the outgoing side by use of a sintered bronze element. I would imagine such a filter wouldn't be a bad idea with the bagged stuff considering your inlet/outlet port size. It does however hamper your flow. How much flow are you anticipating? What air source are you feeding this tank with, and what are you using on the outlet side?

You may want to look into a company called Zeks I think they make products similar to what you are thinking of making.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Greenbuggy,

Thanks for your input on this one.

I'm not sure where people got the idea I was fabricating a tank? Im not.

As I said I already have a tank which is suited to the intended application fullstop!
The unit would be fed by two diesel 100cfm compressors.

Inlet and outlets are 2inch and the outlet will be 2inch bull hose.

So I gather that these bronze filters that you mention can be installed inline via the 2 inch outlet?

cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts