Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering are the trim compressers a good choice for my finish and brad nailer?

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I have run two 16 awg guns off a 2 gal Craftsman...small/light enough to carry around, but it is oil lubed and has a pump on it that puts out nearly 3.0 cfm @90, has a duty cycle of 50%..... I wasn't speed nailing base tho....I was installing built up crown.

Here is a link with 73 reviews...4.xx stars out of 5.
http://www.mysears.com/Craftsman-2-gal-Air-Compressor-with-17-pc-Accessory-Kit-reviews
I would give it 4 of 5...but I have only had it for a month and I got it used for $50, including the gas to go get it, I changed the oil in it to synthentic, so I guess in total it cost me $56.97.

I like its low center of gravty, does not tip, infact I usally have it strapped to the jump seat with the lap belt in the back of my Ranger. Has a decent air filter on it. It is not super loud, but by no means quiet....it operates at 100 psi on -135 psi off (at least mine does, and I am aware it is supposed to only go to 125...I guess I got lucky, maybe I should go in and turn down the cut-out pressure down), it recovers in only around 10 seconds, only pulls 10.5 amps, oil lubed, stainless steel braided lines instead of copper tubing with compression fittings that tend to wear and break...

Of all the compressors I have used, which is not many, 4 gal Husky/Campbell Hausfeld, 4 gal Ridgid, 3 gal Speedair, 8 gallon unknown brand, but old and hell and pulls 19 amps and it is a beast of a compressor, I like my little guy alot...but I keep the larger 4 gallon one around for the larger jobs....

But I have been on a quest to find the smallest tools that still get the job done, lighten the load...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Thomas renegade! :thumbsup: less than 6amp draw, rated for continous run, and only 26lbs, can run 2 finish nailer, or 1 framer for joist or stud work! AWESOME and QUIET :thumbsup::notworthy:thumbsup:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i bought mine 2 yrs ago for $280 @ amazon!

HMMM maybe they are investment quality like festool :laughing:

But seriously, great compressor for working inside h/o houses!

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Am I the only one that uses C02 instead of air compressors? Granted if I was a roofer and shot a box of nails per day per gun I wouldn't. For trim it is the best thing since sliced bread IMO. I even do light reno framing with it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
TBF, its not about how much a tool cost, its how much a tool makes you when its producing! if something saves me time and effort and requires little or no maintance! i,ll spend the top $, and i know i,ll get it back and then some!

then again i dont work for tree-fiddy a FT either:laughing::no:

·
Landscaper
14 Posts
kinda off subject and didnt want to start new thread.
I just got a 4 gallon dewalt compressor d55146. and i am wondering if there are any start up check lists or things i need to do for the First start up??

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
kinda off subject and didnt want to start new thread.
I just got a 4 gallon dewalt compressor d55146. and i am wondering if there are any start up check lists or things i need to do for the First start up??

thanks guys

I own one of these...http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55152-Heavy-Duty-4-Horsepower-Compressor/dp/B0000CCXTK and I have found in the cold weather, I can't use a 50 foot cord. I need to plug it in direct and use hose to get me where I need to be. :thumbsup:

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I am wondering are the trim compressers a good choice for my finish and brad nailer?
The finish gun needs at least a 2 gallon. The brad nailer can use a 1 gallon. If you're going to use both, get a 2 gallon. Dewalt actually has a combo at Lowes (I think) that comes with that finish nailer, a brad nailer, and a 2 gallon compressor.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Would a system like the http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/34 being any use to you if you are looking for something small and light. I have used the small CO2 systems and they do work very well so i guess the larger systems are even better. If you are doing thousands of shots a day i guess they ain't the best route but they are very portable. I'm thinking of getting another just for when i have small finish nailing to do and don't wann take a noisey compressor in the house.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My manual for the 2 gallon says run open for 15 min IIRC....check yours, or better yet ask your wife to read it for you so you don't hurt your masculinity.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Would a system like the http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/34 being any use to you if you are looking for something small and light. I have used the small CO2 systems and they do work very well so i guess the larger systems are even better. If you are doing thousands of shots a day i guess they ain't the best route but they are very portable. I'm thinking of getting another just for when i have small finish nailing to do and don't wann take a noisey compressor in the house.
Finaly some one else that uses one besides me I love co2 power. I don't use that expensive power tank brand tanks and gauges.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Finaly some one else that uses one besides me I love co2 power. I don't use that expensive power tank brand tanks and gauges.
Cole i nearly bought a 3500PSi system not long ago. It uses a high pressure diving tank bottle system and the regulator drops the pressure down to tool pressures. They were the best systems on the market but it was almost impossible to find place willing to top them up. The C02 is a good system still though.

Have to becareful though as some airtools warrenty is invalid if using C02. A few of my makita used to have a sticker on the side saying not for use with C02.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
the manual doesnt have a "Break in" anything...... what to do
Regardless of whether it requires break-in or not, running it with the valve open for 15 minutes will not hurt it.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
TBF, its not about how much a tool cost, its how much a tool makes you when its producing! if something saves me time and effort and requires little or no maintance! i,ll spend the top $, and i know i,ll get it back and then some!
Very true, I couldn't agree with you more, but I have no problems with my little compressors...none. So I take that extra money and keep it aside for times when I have to purchase something unexpented...like the Bosch RotoHammer I needed..I only had the drill three holes, but it is such a labor saver, and from here on out, I will always have one. I don't just go out and buy something b/c it is cheap or b/c it is the most expensive, I go out and buy a tool that is suited to the job I am asking it to do...

There is a time and a place for the very expensive tools...and I get them when needed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts