Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I remember the good ole' days when clients were at our beckon call..." Sorry Mrs. Mc Jones, You're about three miles outside my service zone, I wish I could help you"... or " What; an appointment to look at your family room addition at 2:30 on a Wednesday; You say that's the only time you can get off from work?". Sorry, the best I can do is 10 - 2 on Friday; Tentatively.

Now, I would do their laundry, wax their car, babysit... " oh you want me to be there at exactly 1:00 0n Sunday? ... " Oh, you need a door? and you live in Timbuktu, Just an estimate? No problem be right there. Sigh.....

A humbling lesson from good old lady [email protected]$$$$#$%%%^^

It isn't that bad, yet...

A lesson to those young in the business; NEVER TURN AWAY WORK.

How about the rest of you guys; How's business?

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
My philosophy has always been customer service & making sure my clients are satisfied. Maybe that's why when my competition has been floundering this year, we've been really busy with repeat customers & referral work. Take care of the client in good times & they'll take care of you in tough times.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gee, ya think? spankyou helpy helperton

I hear you and you're 100% right. Gee, I wish I lived in some little town in Missouri where I could service three clients a week instead of a major metropolis where we receive 50 calls by 12 am. You can't save em all I wish I could but you have to prioritize. I am glad you are doing well and I wish you only continued success and May you never get a punch list ever. :blink:

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
I hear you and you're 100% right. Gee, I wish I lived in some little town in Missouri where I could service three clients a week instead of a major metropolis where we receive 50 calls by 12 am. You can't save em all I wish I could but you have to prioritize. I am glad you are doing well and I wish you only continued success and May you never get a punch list ever. :blink:

Yes, I am thankful I live in rural MO. Whether you live in a rural area or a metropolis area, why is it OK to treat a customer like crap? My values & ethics are the same, no matter where I go.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
BTW, one thing you don't understand about living in a rural area. You have to make every effort to save them all, cause there's only so many losses you can afford before word gets out & you destroy your reputation with a small customer pool.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
Gee, I wish I lived in some little town in Missouri where I could service three clients a week instead of a major metropolis where we receive 50 calls by 12 am.
Huh? Your first post certainly sounds like you're not getting as much work as you'd like, and then you come back with this curled-lip response?

So which is it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
come on that's not curled lip.

It may read like that, but it is more in the vain of how you would break the balls of one of your buddies on the job. Jeez so sensitive:rolleyes:?

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
It may read like that, but it is more in the vain of how you would break the balls of one of your buddies on the job. Jeez so sensitive:rolleyes:?
Sorry I missed the wink wink. No problems from this end. Hopefully work picks up for ya. I build home decor from reclaimed architecture & take it to the city to peddle it in the fall of the year. I'm always thankful to get back to a slower pace out here in BFE.:thumbup:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
A lesson to those young in the business; NEVER TURN AWAY WORK.

Hmm I'm young I think and turn a lot of work away. Sorry but I do not agree with your statement.

How is biz? Very good way better than I could have dreamed it to be.

PW isn't it great living in BFE!

Cole

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I don't see how population should effect how you treat customers.

Bigger population does mean more "potential" work, but it also means more contractors bidding for that work.

And a good business has to turn work away at some point - you have to recognize possible bad relationships before you enter into them.

I would think karma would be not learning from one's mistakes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I remember the good ole' days when clients were at our beckon call..." A lesson to those young in the business; NEVER TURN AWAY WORK.

Interesting . I didn't change my ways during the last boom and other than a few months early in the bust period (which were very troubling mentally ) I have treated everything the same then and now .

I am a bit troubled by you saying you had your clients at your beckon call . Me I just was honest and if I could do it or if they were willing to wait a little while I'd fit them in and if I couldn't I'd refer them to someone else.

Sure I've taken on a few jobs on I might not have during the great times but I'll live . I never jacked up my pricing when things were jumping or went cut rate now that work is tight .

I think the mentalility of raking in a bunch of cash is a big reason the country is in this situation in the 1st place. I distinctly remember a few builders bragging about how much they were making in 06 and now they are outta business . Me ..... I'm just doing what I always have . Making a comfortable living . Little harder the last 2 years but nothing I can't get through .
I may never be rich but I'll never be poor either (if my health holds up ) . That is my mentality .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am glad to read it.

I imagine some of you guys that are reading my post haven't read other things I have posted before. You see, I am making a left handed homage to the current paradigm.

I agree, you should take care of customers, and you shouldn't be greedy and all the other attributes that make up a good remodeling contractor. I believe in customer second, opps, did I write second. I mean first ;).

I operate In the heart of Philadelphia, The clients are savvy and shrewd. I envy you guys out in the sticks. You develop a niche'; you dig in like a tic on a dog; and 20 years later, through perseverance and geography you have a decent business model.

Things are a little different here. It is brutal. You have about 10,000 people chasing the same dime and everybody knows somebody who is in the business; or has a brother in law in the trades or business. The fact that I have been at the same address and phone number for 20 years is testament to my tenacity. I have been through 3 "recessions" and I am in the middle of a DEPRESSION :censored: currently, as is all of my competitors. But like we have all done before on tough jobs; we dig in and work it till it's fixed.

Good luck to all you guys out in the sticks and the suburbs and the shore communities. I wish I would have started there myself. :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts