Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old laptop took a dump, and I just updated to a new one with Windows 7 (64bit) on it. I installed AGTEK, and it went in just fine. My problems started with the installation of Tabletworks, and the USB to Serial adapter driver. The GTCO adapter did not support Windows 7 according to GTCO Calcomp (Thanks GTCO....). After talking to a support rep from GTCO, I was told that I just needed to go get a USB to Serial adapter that was supported by Windows & and life would be back to normal. No so much.... Bought a micro Components adapter and loaded the recommended driver (from the Prolific site). Windows 7 will only recognize the driver intermittently. I was wondering if anyone else out there was running AGTEK on Windows 7 and if so how do you have the digitizer and cursor set up? Any leads would be greatly appreciated. This is very maddening. AGTEK tried to help, but GTCO is the one who really needs to get their stuff together.... Thanks, Guesser

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
you paid agtek for the program, it took a crap...and they won't help you? looks to me like you're screwed like a housecat. i wouldn't buy any agtek programs based on your experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the AGTEK works fine, it is the digitizer that is giving me the trouble. GTCO makes them and has their own site with software and drivers. They are the ones that are not up to speed with the Windows 7. The digitizer has a serial cable for connecting to the computer. The laptop has no serial input (getting outdated). They make adapters to convert from serial to USB so you can use the equipment. Anyway, the driver to allow the digitizer to communicate with the computer and AGTEK is not doing it's job in Windows 7. I asked about digitizers with a USB instead of serial and they had them, but no guaranties about compatibility. They said they basically are not compatible at this time. They are working on it, but no timeline to offer. There is an answer out there, I just need to find it.....:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blas:

Thanks for that link. It sounds interesting. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have stayed with XP to begin with. 7 is just a pretty darn stable platform so far, that I did not think about the hardware issues. The software works great! Damn computers. Love em' and hate em'....lol

·
Midnight
177 Posts
Let me know how it works. I have a free windows 7 upgrade from Vista available I just haven't activated it yet. For this very reason.:laughing:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not to get off-topic--but I have NEVER dealt with GTCO and came out of the deal being satisfied. We bought a board from them a few years ago and it died within 14 months. Since I was no longer under warranty--they wanted me to pay them $75 just to speak with tech support to even see if the problem was with the board.

We do everything onscreen now so our GTCO is an expensive easel where we can lay out plans down.

·
Midnight
177 Posts
Not to get off-topic--but I have NEVER dealt with GTCO and came out of the deal being satisfied. We bought a board from them a few years ago and it died within 14 months. Since I was no longer under warranty--they wanted me to pay them $75 just to speak with tech support to even see if the problem was with the board.

We do everything onscreen now so our GTCO is an expensive easel where we can lay out plans down.

GTCO's customer service is right on par with the DMV. Always way behind the curve when it comes to driver updates etc.. Which software are you running el?? I have been looking into Insite software mostly for their field general survey interface software, but I also like the look of their estimating software and not having to trace lines and print plans would be an absolute god send.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We are currently using Carlson Takeoff. We used Quest Earthworks & estimator for a while but had some customer service and technical support issues so we stopped renewing our annual tech support agreement.

Carlson has a pretty stout learning curve if you're not accustomed to CAD but once you get it down, it really is an amazing software package. Earthworks was much simpler to dive in and use but was limited in its abilities. For the first 3 months, We saw no huge advantage in using carlson--now we get our takeoffs done much much faster.

I often receive brochures on insite--it seems similar to carlson.

·
Senior Estimator
22 Posts
Get a second computer

By now, you have already wasted $500.00 of your efforts.

I know this sounds lame. However, for about $500.00 you can get a second computer installed with XP. Set this one up as a dedicated take-off computer for Agtek.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good idea about the 2nd computer. We use Agtek and Carlson. I love the Agtek pdf add-on but I know it's pricey.

You are still tracing tho - even when using insite unless the pdf image is freakishly clean with no intersecting lines.

To me Insite functions more like agtek than carlson or any other cad based program just based on the little I've seen of it - we have one seat here that nobody uses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
AGTEK And Windows 7

I'm running Earthwork 3d and windows 7 and have the same issue with the adaptors. gtco simply says they still haven't found an adaptor that works 100% of the time. We are upgrading to the pdf software that Agtek offers for about 2500 bucks. We are selling our super L III and super L IV to go towards the cost of the upgrade. I love agtek and coudn't see myself running any other earthwork software.....but i also wasnt the one who paid for it! haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running Earthwork 3d and windows 7 and have the same issue with the adaptors. gtco simply says they still haven't found an adaptor that works 100% of the time. We are upgrading to the pdf software that Agtek offers for about 2500 bucks. We are selling our super L III and super L IV to go towards the cost of the upgrade. I love agtek and coudn't see myself running any other earthwork software.....but i also wasnt the one who paid for it! haha
Well, I had not visited this thread in quite some time, so I thought I would give some more recent feedback. I was able to find a new "Serial-to-USB" adapter. It is a Keyspan USA-19HS. I went to their site and downloaded the latest drivers, and all SEEMS to be working well so far (last 6 months or so). Worth a try. I let AGTEK know as well, so they might be able to save someone else a hassle in the future.

I realize that serial adapters are disappearing, but it is not that hard for them to provide updated items like this. They just want you to spend another $5000+ to upgrade to a USB digitizer board.....:censored:

We also just purchased the PDF utility and I am enjoying it for the most part so far. Thanks again to evreyone for their replies...:thumbsup:

Guesser

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just recentley updated my laptop to a dell running windows 7 and had the same problems with compatbiltity issues for my GTCO board. Installed a usb to serial adapter and two hours of agtek support we were good to go. I was told that windows 7 will not work with rollup 1 GTCo boards just the roll up 2. We do all of our takeoffs onscreen for the most part but still use the board once in a great while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts