Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't seem that they would satisfy the code requirement that "Branch circuits supplying outlets" be AFCI protected, but Leviton sure is pushing them.

Even as an add-on in a residence that didn't have them, just to protect appliances, it would be just as easy (almost) to install a breaker.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
AFCI's are not intended to 'protect appliances'.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AFCI's are not intended to 'protect appliances'.
I know that. But that's the only thing an AFCI receptical would protect, the appliance wiring. :thumbsup:

Which is why I can't understand why they are even manufactured.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
I know that. But that's the only thing an AFCI receptical would protect, the appliance wiring. :thumbsup:

Which is why I can't understand why they are even manufactured.
Um... .they have Line and Load terminals.....

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
O.K. Never used one. So then they would protect the circuit after the first receptical. Still wouldn't meet code.
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications — Dwelling Units.

In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
Allowed by code, but i think it's a false economy. Spend the $35-50 for the breaker and it's all done.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Allowed by code, but i think it's a false economy. Spend the $35-50 for the breaker and it's all done.
Lemme know where to get Federal Pacific, Pushmatic, Wadsworth, Square D XO or Zinsco AFCI breakers. :whistling

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
If there is no choice, there's no choice, but if you can replace the breaker, that's what I'd have done.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Lemme know where to get Federal Pacific, Pushmatic, Wadsworth, Square D XO or Zinsco AFCI breakers. :whistling
.. and while you're at it, where to get tandem AFCIs.

Edit: I've never liked protecting circuits with receptacles because people never remember it. Even on kitchen counters, people forget that the GFCI at the end protects 3 more receptacles. The reason electricians are fine with them is that homeowners never call the electrician at 11:00 PM on a Saturday to ask why the blender doesn't work. They call the general.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
.. and while you're at it, where to get tandem AFCIs.

Edit: I've never liked protecting circuits with receptacles because people never remember it. Even on kitchen counters, people forget that the GFCI at the end protects 3 more receptacles. The reason electricians are fine with them is that homeowners never call the electrician at 11:00 PM on a Saturday to ask why the blender doesn't work. They call the general.

I always do a walk-through with the HO to cover stuff like this. On new houses, I provide what might be considered a 'handbook' for the electrical.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I'm not a promoter of increased regulations either but since they've finally produced AFCI's that aren't as temperamental as in the beginning, I don't see the problem other than those who are not "in the know" not installing them when required.

The biggest problem is with those that don't understand them such as home inspectors who recommend them on a report. They don't work on a shared neutral.

:bangin:

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
I must be lucky - everything I've worked on since the new AFCI regs were put in place here has gotten a new box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts