Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that this was about to be abandoned until our governor decided to get involved. Now since the positions are appointed apparently everyone got scared and figured they better do what the good governor says.

Another wasted of money for home buyers. Any agreeables?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,308 Posts
I've done my share of scoffing at the AFCI thing. But just a couple of months ago, I had a call from a very worried client who smelled smoke, lost power to a living room circuit, and felt a pretty hot cover plate on a two-gang wall switch box.

When I opened up that box, everything inside was completely black and there was a charred mess that used to be a wire nut. Obviously it was never properly tightened or somehow worked its way loose, and the wires proceeded to arc and generate a considerable amount of heat.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the situation could very easily have developed into a full-scale conflagration--MOF, I'm still surprised that it didn't.

I'm a believer now.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
For a time - I was dead-set against AFCI protection.
- [1999] - I never saw the amendments NJ makes to the NEC.

- [2002] - NJ did not accept 210.12 ~ it covered only bedrooms...so what was the point in writing the article? People plug things all over the place - not just the bedroom.

- [2005] - NJ did not accept 210.12[unchanged from '02] - but instead, amended it to be "optional". Again, what was the point in writing the article?

- [2008] - NJ accepts 210.12 as written and expanded from '02.

I'm still not happy with it as it does not encompass everything.
IMHO, the risk are still present..so again, what is the point?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would be more in favor of them if it was demonstrably shown that they actually DO trip in a real world arcing situation.

As far as what the NC powers that be decide, I could really care less. Any extra cost is just passed on to the customer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts