Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a new airless paint sprayer and could use a bit of advise/help on choosing the right one... I'm not a painter by trade, but do my share... The two main things I'm looking for are 1. Reliablility, 2. Easiness to clean.. I would like to keep it around a $1000... I've been looking at the obvious (Graco), but also like campbell hausfeld with its option to run two spray guns... Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated... P.S. I took a hammer today to my Titan sprayer (had it just over a year and was nothing but headaches trying to get it primed-must say it felt good)...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi All,

P.S. I took a hammer today to my Titan sprayer (had it just over a year and was nothing but headaches trying to get it primed-must say it felt good)...

Well I dont say this very often but that was stupid!

I'm sure you could have had it gone through for a couple hundred .

What a costly mistake.

What happens when your new sprayer clogs or has issues? Hammer?
:laughing:

I've done it myself with different tools and I agree it feels good :thumbup: then reality sets in and I cool down:bangin:

I have a graco mark IV and love it but that is a lil more than your budget. I picked mine up for $2500 . Its was used one time.

Best advice is get the biggest one you can afford, closest one to 1. gpm. Dont waste your money on a .34 gpm.
Might want to save just a lil more if you can. $1000 is just enough to get you top of the line junk.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ebay has reconditioned never used Graco Ultra 395's that go for around $880 with Free shipping. They tend not to do well with heavy bodied primers but have got to spray better than the Graco Magnum line of sprayers from Home Depot. The Hi-Boy is all they sell for the X9. The thing really only needs skids or a stand, not wheels, lol. That's overkill.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Caslon... I actully did see those, but was hesitent becasue they were reconditioned... Didn't know exactly what I was going to be end up with... Also, I've decided to step up to the Graco 490... Not sure its worth the extra $350 or so, but seems like everyone has been telling me to get the best unit I can affford (despite how much I would actually use it :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Caslon... I actully did see those, but was hesitent becasue they were reconditioned... Didn't know exactly what I was going to be end up with... Also, I've decided to step up to the Graco 490... Not sure its worth the extra $350 or so, but seems like everyone has been telling me to get the best unit I can affford (despite how much I would actually use it :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Good for you, excellent choice. Lo Boy or Hi Boy? The Magnum X9 High Boy is an ultra small motor and pump put on wheels to make it look serious. I still find that funny.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Question... I was thinking the Lo-Boy this time... Seems like it would be easier to get in and out of paint buckets and lighter in weight.. But at the same time, I read a thread on this forum where someone was complaining how he couldn't understand how anyone would want to buy a Lo-Boy unit... Please let me know what you think, as I don't have any experience with Lo-Boy units...

·
Pro Painters
38 Posts
I have great luck with Titan 440's.

I spent $2500 on a sprayer for my first new purchase. I don't remember what it was but I bought it from SW. It was a bad decision especially if you have employees that don't respect your tools as much as you. It was bulky and was a pain in the butt to clean. I spent equal or more amount of money over 5 years repairing it.

After that one kicked the bucket I decided to try a cheaper model, Titan 440. For the money($800-$900) this pump is worth every penny. It's small which makes it easy to move around. I have cleaning down to about 12-15 minutes. The small investment in this pump makes it much easier to swallow when it dies. Simply discard and purchase new one.

I keep a second 440 for a back-up. I replace one about every two years. These pumps are disposable and if you try to salvage them it can get costly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts