Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For counter top we have granite counter top & quartz counter top ...
I want to know which material is more popular in the US ???
Any information would be appreciate ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
depends...the media pushes quartz onto people thinking that its cheaper than granite. in actuality granite is cheaper than quartz. i myself think its pretty stupid to buy a " fake stone" when the real stuff is cheaper. there are however a few colors that are really close to the real stone that end up being less expensive.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Granite is much more popular in the Chicago area.
As you might know, quartz is harder and requires very little maintenance as opposed to granite, but the quartz is very (and almost too) consistent.
People here prefer the natural and unpredictable patterns that granite provides. Most of it is cheaper than quartz too unless you get into the exotic colors.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
First of all, there are different levels (quality) of granite. Quartz is not the same. Quartz is quartz (quality). When you see cardboard signs on the side of the road showing granite from $27, I wouldn't put my money on what they're offering. You can get crap granite. If you're talking apples to apples, quartz is usually cheaper OR at least as cheap as the basic granites; ubatuba, st. cecelia, etc.

So, our position on counter tops is that the designer or contractor should steer the customer in a direction that's in line with what works best. Quartz may not be best to an older couple that rarely cooks. Granite may not be the best choice for a super active family of 6 where maintenance can be an issue. Also, certain areas (location) will dictate what level home should have for materials.

One of the designs we like to promote is using granite for an island and quartz for work areas. This helps show off the granite and keeps low maintenance for the work areas. Don't be afraid to do something a bit outside the box. :thumbsup:

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
First of all, there are different levels (quality) of granite. Quartz is not the same. Quartz is quartz (quality). When you see cardboard signs on the side of the road showing granite from $27, I wouldn't put my money on what they're offering. You can get crap granite. If you're talking apples to apples, quartz is usually cheaper OR at least as cheap as the basic granites; ubatuba, st. cecelia, etc.

So, our position on counter tops is that the designer or contractor should steer the customer in a direction that's in line with what works best. Quartz may not be best to an older couple that rarely cooks. Granite may not be the best choice for a super active family of 6 where maintenance can be an issue. Also, certain areas (location) will dictate what level home should have for materials.

One of the designs we like to promote is using granite for an island and quartz for work areas. This helps show off the granite and keeps low maintenance for the work areas. Don't be afraid to do something a bit outside the box. :thumbsup:

Angus, good advice as usual.....so...getting your profile pic all ready for Halloween I see!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Granite vs Quartz

As to the original question, there is more granite sold than quartz because:

1. Granite has been around much longer.
2. There are a bunch of cheap granites out there, often just junk.
3. Several decent colors in granite are relatively cheap and can be found in A or B type grades.
4. Most brands of quartz don't have very good colors. The exception to this is Cambria, which is outstanding.

Cambria has all colors priced the same, unlike other brands or granite. They have been running a promotion of free edge treatments, which can be a big savings if you have a lot of linear feet of an expensive edge profile. It is priced about the same as a MID-RANGE granite - but consumers only see ads for "$39/SF" granite.

Differences include quartz being 8 to 10X stronger than granite, more uniform stone without weak places and fissures in it. Granite can be beautiful with every piece unique, but that also means not knowing exactly what you are getting sometimes.

Quartz is non-porus, never needs sealed, and can be used in places like hospitals or food prep areas where granite cannot be used due to health regulations.

Because of the strength of quartz it can be used in complex curves and shapes where granite would probably break.

We sell both granite and quartz, like both, but Cambria is for all practical purposes the only quartz brand we sell. Other brands can't compare. Biggest obstacle to Cambria is the price point versus granites like uba tuba, etc. People without the budget wind up going lower priced colors of granite, solid surface, or laminate.

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
1: Do you seek "Advise" or Advice?

2: You are in China. If you are Asian, Ignore #1. If you are American, please seek a Dictionary!

3: Ignore "Poster" (Me), he tends to be "A Prick". (but follow #2 regardless!)

·
Registered
161 Posts
As to the original question, there is more granite sold than quartz because:

1. Granite has been around much longer.
2. There are a bunch of cheap granites out there, often just junk.
3. Several decent colors in granite are relatively cheap and can be found in A or B type grades.
4. Most brands of quartz don't have very good colors. The exception to this is Cambria, which is outstanding.
We see more granite in the South Fl area. There are many shops that have excellent reputations with great prices.

IF a contractor or retail buyer shops around, they can get a great price on granite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts