and need to start now. No can do. He says I'll find someone else

and hangs up. Now I built a cabinet for him still sitting in my garage

he has not paid for material or labor. I'm thinking about calling him

and telling him to find someone else to build it and just keep it

for myself. What would you guys do?

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Hard to say what I would do. If it happened to me I be privy to more details and circumstances. As a rule of thumb if he's not ready then I look for something else to do. What ever I'm doing now gets done first before starting something else. I would probably tell him when I could start and if he wants to call someone else he can.

Is his 15k/year worth trading in for 1 cabinet? Sounds like it could be, but you would know best.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to say also this man is real hard to get alone with

and this not the first time he has said I will call someone else.

The last time I drop what I was doing only to find out half

the material was wrong and had to make a one day job

2 days.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I need to say also this man is real hard to get alone with

and this not the first time he has said I will call someone else.

The last time I drop what I was doing only to find out half

the material was wrong and had to make a one day job

2 days.
Do you use any form of written agreement with this guy? Did he call someone else the last time, or did you jump as commanded? Did you mention rescheduling after he got the right materials onsite?

How badly do you need this job?

When you work without a written agreement you are not clear about what and when or who provides what.

When he threatens to "give away your job" and you drop what you are doing to accommodate him you are his puppet and must do what he says. You need to be clear about him being ready on the right day and the consequences for not. That could include additional compensation to you while you wait, but at least reserve the right to work a different job and make him wait for you to finish it.

If you have no other work and the cupboards are bare, that may bend your will. But otherwise ask yourself, is he worth it?

We work on first in first out. If your turn comes and your not ready for us we don't wait, we move on and you are rescheduled. If you don't like it you are free to find someone else.

My feeling is you already know your best answer.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
669 Posts
Sounds like he's in over his head and might not know how to properly run a job site, also from what you posted, he sounds rude... is this unusual or is he always pulling this crap? how much of your business does he represent? you have to weigh the pro's and con's, you might have a better understanding of what his situation is, so it's hard to judge.

Either way, their will be more people like him, so pay attention...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Now I built a cabinet for him still sitting in my garage
he has not paid for material or labor. I'm thinking about calling him
and telling him to find someone else to build it and just keep it
for myself. What would you guys do?
If you want it...keep it. It's yours anyway.
If you have plenty of customers forget about it.
If not.....?

·
Contractor
4,770 Posts
not much you could do about the cabinet except eat it. if there is nothing in writing and he's going to find someone else for the job, why would he use the cabinet you built? sounds like an odd situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.