Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys....

Good friends asking advice as to reasonable punch list issues on their new home.

Builder is regional legit production builder.... home is mid 600's.

Issue is driveway slab (near entry) with/out 100% positive slope/drainage...snow country....

My response is below... Your opinions are valued....

"Holly...... Way to be on top and in advance of issues.

With respect to the driveway slope and concrete flatwork, no you are not being nitpicking.

A driveway (and garage slab) should have a positive drainage slope 100%. This would be a very normal building/industry standard and I would doubt that Jim would assert 1/8 puddling is within Remington standards for any drainage slab. (Although I do not believe code addresses a driveway slope/drainage..... I’m going on one of my contractor sites in a few minutes to see what I learn.)

As a practical matter, it’s a tough/difficult situation most likely for R******X to correct at this stage and I’m sure Jim would rather avoid the issue. As a practical matter, it probably does occur often.

I know you haven’t had the opportunity to use a garden hose and flood it.... but can you guess at:

1) How extensive a puddle it results in.... 1’ radius or 5’ .

2) Does it extend into a walkway.

3) Your point that it’s in the shade is well taken also.

I guess I’m trying to figure the “degree” of seriousness.... 1/8” ice is as easy to slip on as 1” of ice.

Shy of ripping up and repouring the driveway, which is probably an unrealistic/ unpractical expectation..... might address Jim if there is any practical/reasonable fix, considering both the drainage and aesthetics... possible ideas.....

1) Depending where your relief cuts are in the slab.... could that one section be replaced to provide positive slope.

2) A concrete topping to restore positive drainage might have been a possible fix, but I believe would be aesthetically crappy.

3) Any chance a simple drain could be cut in.... likely aesthetically not feasible.

4) Any chance that the slab could be ground/tapered down to provide drainage.... likely an aesthetic problem also in that the concrete finish is near your entry.

Bottom line, and just my personal thought, if it’s not a large/material impediment, I guess I would live with it realizing that no construction is perfect.

But I would certainly address it and discuss it with Jim, both for possible corrective actions, and also to get “credit” for being reasonable, cooperative, but conscientious buyers."

TIA

Peter

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
What's your question? Your letter says nothing: " Holly, you do have problems, either do something or don't". Pretty useless answer there

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What's your question? Your letter says nothing: " Holly, you do have problems, either do something or don't". Pretty useless answer there
Anti.... Sorry if it confusing to you..... for clarrity:

1)My question to CT/you, is what advice (YOUR OPINION) would you extend to a new home buyer with a slab poured that does not have perfect drainage.?

2)Would you enforce/***** a perfect driveway pour as an industry standard and consider demanding tear-up and repour.

3)Any solutions/repair I did not consider.

4) My recommendation was to bring up the issue, discuss any possible specific repair, short of a tear-out repour, be reasonable and live with it, but make sure the builder realizes you are being reasonable such that other punch list issues are well addressed.

If my answer was useless.... what would be your answer. I was looking for your recommendations/advice/opinion.

TIA

Peter

Edit: More generally, what do you think is a reasonable position to take in regard to this punchlist issue.?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
You are a presumed expert, but not unbiased. I would suggest that you stay out of it, you don't have either E&O or professional arbitration experience. You are headed right between the builder and the HO.

Get out NOW

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are a presumed expert, but not unbiased. I would suggest that you stay out of it, you don't have either E&O or professional arbitration experience. You are headed right between the builder and the HO.

Get out NOW
OK... Thank you for the personal advice.... but I am still looking for advice in regard to the construction issue. (Pretend that I'm the HomeOwner).

(Actually, I do carry E&O and I am not frightened to help/advise/give my opinion to good friends....and actually have extensive negotiating experience by nature of previous employment.)

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Peter,

Not having complete/proper drainage in snow country is a serious problem. Not only is it a safety issue for the puddl freezing over, but a constant source of moisture on the concrete which will eventuall, after enough freeze/thaw cycles, begin to deteriorate. Then add the proverbial crack or three and failure will soon result.

If as you say the "Builder is regional legit production builder" he should have no issue fixing such a defect.

Only fix I can see is to demo and do it right.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peter,

Not having complete/proper drainage in snow country is a serious problem. Not only is it a safety issue for the puddl freezing over, but a constant source of moisture on the concrete which will eventuall, after enough freeze/thaw cycles, begin to deteriorate. Then add the proverbial crack or three and failure will soon result.

If as you say the "Builder is regional legit production builder" he should have no issue fixing such a defect.

Only fix I can see is to demo and do it right.

Good luck.
THANKS GRIZ..... YOUR OPINION IS VERY VALUED.!!!!

(I'm kinda second guessing my first response as maybe I was trying to be too reasonable..... {needed to respond quickly with out what I call my walking-around-time to think it out})

Best

Peter

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our combined hourly rate makes it VERY attractive to get advice here...:thumbsup::whistling:laughing:
Yes.... I'm moving GRIZ up to my attorneys $300/hour rate....

.....luckily for me, it only took him 5 seconds to type his response.....:whistling:thumbup::laughing:

Best

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My advice is to read this, because the other side certainly has.
http://www.concrete.org/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?ItemID=11710
Anti.... There Sir..... is a great idea. Honestly thank you.....

(Probably don't want to spend $91 to read it right now at this stage, but I would have thought that any slooped pour for drainage purposes would require a positive slope.... period. I could see that the exact slope could have a varience factor by industry standard.)

But thank you

Peter

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:censored:But the best advice you've received is mine, cause how can you prove something is wrong unless you can cite the standards.:censored:
Not sure why anything is "censored"..... but I think yours is great advice...

( and if it comes to having to cite/print an industry standard......probably worth the $91 fee to access and I'll probably recommend it.... right now, it is just at a preliminary negotiation stage.)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Not sure why anything is "censored"..... but I think yours is great advice...

( and if it comes to having to cite/print an industry standard......probably worth the $91 fee to access and I'll probably recommend it.... right now, it is just at a preliminary negotiation stage.)
Cause you were kissing Griz's butt, just cause he's a mod :whistling

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cause you were kissing Griz's butt, just cause he's a mod :whistling
Not really Anti...... I liked your constructive /construction advice too.... once you addressed the issue..... ;)

Plus GRIZ and I are old phucks....

...and I respect OUR maturity and extensive widespread comprensive, competant, superior, senior, immense,accomplised, expert, seasoned, authoritative, first-rate, brillant, supreme, sterling, outstanding, and superlative knowledge and experience......

plus our Bullchit

Best ;)

Peter

1 - 20 of 35 Posts