Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to use a full size router w/ laminate bit and just picked up a laminate trimmer but still having the same problem when cutting back the top where the bit is going too deep and digging into the (already finished) sides. Can anyone provide tips to get my tops cut properly?

·
T. P. I. Construction
13 Posts
are you using a bit with a roller on the bottom? I found that that works best
if not I have had some luck with a single layer of masking tape on the front drop. I have also heard of applying a thin layer of vasoline to the drop. I have not tried this method but I heard it to be very successful.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
I don't have a solution but I may know the problem.

I bet it only digs in in certain places, right?

1. Your edge isn't perfectly square to the top.

2. You are tipping the router ever so slightly towards the center, probably don't know you are doing it.

I get the same problem sometimes and I know it's because of tipping the router slightly. Try an offset base that is longer on the inbound side and will allow you to keep the router perfectly flat to the top.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You need to just practice, its hard at first putting a little weight on the top back of the trimmer as you go can do that. also going to slow seems to help mistakes. how big is your base on your trimmer ? I find not trimming on installed material but doing it on a nice base and workarea helps alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts