Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled up a couple layers of glue down vinyl/linoleum/whatever. I'm down to the concrete slab but I've got glue all over the slab that I'm having a lot of trouble getting up in any kind of efficient manner.
Is there a technique for this other than use the scraper on a stick and keep scraping? I tried a few adhesive solvents and the glue just laughed at them.

Here's a pic of the floor with the glue on it. Second pic is my feeble attempt at scraping.

·
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
****, that's what I was afraid of.

I was really hoping for some sort of "pour a bit of talcum powder on it" solution.

Also, in case anybody is angered that I didn't check the search results before making this thread, I wasn't sure if glue down carpet used a different adhesive than flooring, so I figured I'd make the thread to play it safe.

Here's my follow up question... can a tile guy thinset right over a crappy glued up slab? Probably not right? I'm going to end up dusting out the entire block, aren't I?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
17,710 Posts
No anger here. I remember the thread because I was telling a customer the same thing should be done to her 2300 sq ft concrete floor after tile was pulled up.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
How many sq ft?
Pretty much same adhesive from what I see, there are different but that looks like basic multipurpose gluedown carpet and vinyl adhesive. There is equipment for removing it dust free or close to it.
Rental stores may have it and yes it should come up with the slab showing, scratch marks into the slab with the adhesive removed is ideal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Floor maintainer with carbide cutterhead. Basically a buffer with different attachment carrying a few square carbide teeth. Should be available at rental outlets. Work into it easy or you may go for a wild ride

·
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's such a tiny job I may just keep hacking at it with the scraper. Looking at less than 100sqft separated into two areas. There's a small 5x4 area by the entrance to the ground floor rental apartment, then a 9x8 kitchen. It seems like a machine would barely be able to get going in that cramped a space.
I saw grinding wheels mentioned in another thread, but nobody pointed to a specific one that was preferable. Any advice on a wheel I could pick up that would achieve a proper result? It would almost certainly take less time for me than going to the tool rental place across town, paying for it, picking it up, using it, driving it back across town, etc.

Thanks as usual for the help.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm not seeing typical residential flooring adhesive. Are those cell phone pics? Cell phone cameras SUCK for our purposes. They never quite catch the issue at hand.

I can't really see GLUE. Where are the trowel notches? You mention carpet glue but you said this was vinyl/lino.....whatever. Linoleum and most ALL residential vinyls have a separate backing. THAT is usually very difficult to separate from the adhesive. Wetting the floor or using solvents doesn't always reach the adhesive. Most of those floors would have called for a latex multi-purpose. You know, the yellow/orange one. The cheap ones break right down with hot water in like 20-30 minutes. But you'd have to get that backing off. Soiling the slab with solvent isn't what any flooring/adhesive/patch/tile manufacturer wants to deal with.

From what I can see it looks like you peeled off the surface layer leaving the asbestos/felt backing material. To whatever extent that is scraped or ground away THEN you will have to contend with adhesive removal.

Personally I LOVE when these backings have asbestos so I can walk away..........so I HAVE to walk away and let someone else contend with it. If it's not asbestos we use Scrape-Away plates or diamond grinders with a vacuum shroud.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
100 sq ft could be scraped up in one day by hand. Not fun, but doable. But you need a scraper, not a putty knife.

·
Registered
475 Posts
100 sq ft could be scraped up in one day by hand. Not fun, but doable. But you need a scraper, not a putty knife.
yeah, 98-99% of smaller jobs like this are just an hour or three with RAZOR scrapers, maybe a slick (chisel blade on a heavy iron bar)-----not putty knives

I do recall a handful though........6x8 rest rooms and such where I simply couldn't get the backing up with every HAND tool in my arsenal. Pretty sure they were asbestos backings. We weren't always so.......cautious and........legitimate back in the day.

looked like regular felt back and regular multi---------but I couldn't get it up without machines

·
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple more things:

Pulled up two layers. The bottom layer didn't look like, and the house isn't old enough, to have been asbestos. Place is from the late 70s I believe. Asbestos was out by that point, no?
I was just using the putty knife to score some up for the purposes of taking the picture. That wasn't what I was using to scrape it.
iPad pictures, but it was tough to get the lighting right. I suppose it's possible I'm still in backing, but I'd be pretty surprised. I mean, that sure looks like concrete, doesn't it?

I looked at this guy a couple hours ago but was scared to pull the trigger on a $40 contraption that I'm definitely not using more than once.
Worth it?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-in-Double-Row-Diamond-Cup-Wheel-HD-AWD40/202884364

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What's going down over that slab?
I think asbestos was out there in mid 80's.
Saw some people pulling underlayment and 9x9's up today.
If vinyl is going down you can skimcoat it with featherfinish.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
They supposedly quit making tile with asbestos in 1978, but sold all remaining stock. Could have sold for years.

·
Registered
475 Posts
A couple more things:

Pulled up two layers. The bottom layer didn't look like, and the house isn't old enough, to have been asbestos. Place is from the late 70s I believe. Asbestos was out by that point, no?
I was just using the putty knife to score some up for the purposes of taking the picture. That wasn't what I was using to scrape it.
iPad pictures, but it was tough to get the lighting right. I suppose it's possible I'm still in backing, but I'd be pretty surprised. I mean, that sure looks like concrete, doesn't it?

I looked at this guy a couple hours ago but was scared to pull the trigger on a $40 contraption that I'm definitely not using more than once.
Worth it?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-in-Double-Row-Diamond-Cup-Wheel-HD-AWD40/202884364
70s was asbestos backing all day long in residential vinyl floors

Went out of most flooring at the end of that decade-----so it's 50/50 chance I'd say--------EXCEPT that you're having troubles getting it up. That's a sign that it probably does have asbestos if what I see is that gray felt.

Again, it's the photos that are confusing me. I can't tell if it's mostly concrete or if it's that gray, asbestos felt backing that you're scratching at with that putty knife. Glue would show us a PATTERN of distinct trowel ridges (swirls) which I'm not seeing so much as a TRACE of. But it could be that most of the glue came up on the backing and what I see is just some odd glue stuck in the nooks and crannies.

Yeah, even with a decent digital camera it's not always easy to capture the images we need to see for demo and prep questions.

Like Mike says, how critical every trace of adhesive being left back depends on what's coming next. Sometimes, for some products we just get up everything that can reasonably be chipped or scraped up and BURY the rest if it's SO darn stuck.

Depends.

Those a great little diamond wheels to have but for a one time use I recommend you just go to the rental yard and get the one with a VACUUM SHROUD. You may not even need that.

·
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tomorrow will tell the tale.

There's going to be porcelain tile over top. I guess you just thinset that right to the floor. I'm holding out hope that one of my tiling homeboys will save me from this, but there's a 25% chance I end up doing it myself. If that occurs, expect to see me back here. hah

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Pulled up a couple layers of glue down vinyl/linoleum/whatever. I'm down to the concrete slab but I've got glue all over the slab that I'm having a lot of trouble getting up in any kind of efficient manner.
Is there a technique for this other than use the scraper on a stick and keep scraping? I tried a few adhesive solvents and the glue just laughed at them.

Here's a pic of the floor with the glue on it. Second pic is my feeble attempt at scraping.

look up diamabrush..
you can actually rent the diamabrush wheel and buffer form big box..so minimal investment..

if you choose to buy you can own a 16" at $400 and will give you quite a bit if Square footage before you need to replace the blades..i own one for wood flooring and it awesome..

strip Aluminum oxide finish in no time and allows for machines to sand efficiently

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Good tactic on removing A/O, don't breathe that stuff, keep air clean or clean it.
All these situations with floor prep one has to have the arsenal on standby to deal with in an efficient manner.

·
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That definitely seems to be the case. I don't act as a GC too often and therefor almost never have to do tile work or especially tile prep work on a slab.

I went back this morning with an abrasive wheel I picked up at the Home Despot for 9 bucks. It's like a hard spongy material, not a diamond wheel. It worked great, but as we know, makes a hell of a lot of dust. I had to stop as I realized I was not equipped to manage the amount of dust. Vacuum method did not help. I need to get full containment and a fan going. Back at the shop regrouping right now.

Next question is going to be: Once I get the goop off later today, is there something I should do to score the floor up a little bit to get better adhesion with my thinset? Wire wheel or something? The existing pad is in very good shape and is actually pretty smooth. I'm worried it might be a little too "polished" for a good bond.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That definitely seems to be the case. I don't act as a GC too often and therefor almost never have to do tile work or especially tile prep work on a slab.

I went back this morning with an abrasive wheel I picked up at the Home Despot for 9 bucks. It's like a hard spongy material, not a diamond wheel. It worked great, but as we know, makes a hell of a lot of dust. I had to stop as I realized I was not equipped to manage the amount of dust. Vacuum method did not help. I need to get full containment and a fan going. Back at the shop regrouping right now.

Next question is going to be: Once I get the goop off later today, is there something I should do to score the floor up a little bit to get better adhesion with my thinset? Wire wheel or something? The existing pad is in very good shape and is actually pretty smooth. I'm worried it might be a little too "polished" for a good bond.

AGAIN... Diamabrush..

do some homework on it..they have a tool for every job

1 - 20 of 37 Posts