Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have really helped me out here, as I explained in my previous posts I am just starting out taking over some painting. Just got another job after I finish the we are starting Monday or Tuesday. Since it seems I will have to do a decent amount of painting now I figure it would be a good time to get all quality stuff. Everything from rollers, all new brushes, covers, trays, etc.

Is there any brands out there you guys really like for say brushes, rollers, roller covers, etc Or even more important ones to avoid?

Will be using waterbased for the most part, so that is all I am buying for now. Lot of choices and I am pretty confused.

Thanks

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
For brushes, I buy all purdy 3" varieties. For roller frames and poles, I buy wooster. As far as trays...I never use paint trays. I always use a 5 gallon bucket (free with purchase of 5 gallons of paint) for rolling with a metal grid ($2). Best method if you ever want to get anything done and make less mess.

What else? Ladders...werner extension ladders, and the gorrilla fiberglass step ladders are a good way to go on the cheap.

Drop cloths. Get yourself 4 12x15' and 4 4x15' runners. With the big ones you can cover a whole room in one fell swoop. Or, if you're only doing walls, you can throw those 4 runners around the room and go at it. They'll cover a room 23x15 using them along the walls. Having a bunch of large drops makes setup go WAY faster than using 10 little ones.

Spray rigs....go with a graco. If you're looking at the cheap box store one's don't buy anything less than an XR-9. I have one and it's great, but the other little magnum pumps I've burnt up a few of!

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I'm no painting expert (like many here) but I swear by my paint spinner. It makes all my brushes and roller covers last much, much longer. And, you can clean and change to a new colour almost right away.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
I use purdy brushes myself. I like a 3" slanted.
Make sure you learn how to clean your equipment and brushes... it will save you a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I suppose I'm too generous with my employees, but I will purchase their brushes if they take care of them and they then become their own responsibility. I do this because the brushes are expensive, but not too expensive for me to buy the first round. I use a 4 inch oil based stain brush for decks and cedar siding= 23 bucks. 2 1/2 SW contractor/ or similar purdy 13 bucks. 2 inch ox hair purdy for interior stain. 2 1/2 angle sash for poly. I'll use a 3 1/2 inch SW/or purdy for exterior latex solid stain/ or latex paint.

This adds up, but each employee gets their own set= responsibility for their own brushes, then Peter doesn't waste $$$$ over the year.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts