Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. I have a contract from a customer to do the upstairs halfway in hardwood her stairs, family room and then refinish the hole downstairs. She originally wanted it done in January and have me a deposit. Last week She asked me to do the stairs and upstairs so she could have carpet put into the rooms. I Did the job. She now says she doesn't want to do the downstairs at all and wants her money back. She have me more than what I charged her for the stairs and hallway for a deposit. Normally I do not give deposits back and I'm frustrated because the price I gave her for the stairs and hallway was a package deal price. What would you guys do in the situation.

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
sbrodacz said:
I need some advice. I have a contract from a customer to do the upstairs halfway in hardwood her stairs, family room and then refinish the hole downstairs. She originally wanted it done in January and have me a deposit. Last week She asked me to do the stairs and upstairs so she could have carpet put into the rooms. I Did the job. She now says she doesn't want to do the downstairs at all and wants her money back. She have me more than what I charged her for the stairs and hallway for a deposit. Normally I do not give deposits back and I'm frustrated because the price I gave her for the stairs and hallway was a package deal price. What would you guys do in the situation.
This is something you should of made clear at the beginning, your contract should always read "if this scope of work is broke down in sections a new contract will have to be negotiated. This price is for the above project as a whole. I always do this because sometimes I will give a break on painting a project I build, I've had them say "my husband is going to build it but we still want you to paint it".

·
Registered
Remodel
31,166 Posts
Maybe T&M for what was done, since she wants out of the contract, or stick with the "no refunds" if it's in the contract.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
take out what you need for what you did, and givem back the rest

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Californiadecks said:
This is something you should of made clear at the beginning, your contract should always read "if this scope of work is broke down in sections a new contract will have to be negotiated. This price is for the above project as a whole. I always do this because sometimes I will give a break on painting a project I build, I've had them say "my husband is going to build it but we still want you to paint it".
That's a really good idea. I will have to add that in my contract.

·
Eater of sins.
4,687 Posts
I think from an emotional stand-point is would be very satisfying to tell her to go piss up a rope.
From a business stand-point, negotiate what would be a fair trade for what you have done.
From an English language stand-point, you made me happy by using the word "advice" correctly and not the word "advise" as so many do.

Andy.

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
I've been thinking about this. I'll bet they think you're a corporation. Tell them you're a sole proprietor your taxes are filled out jointly with you and you wife, therefore is personal and you're not willing to divulge this info.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you should have said no from the beginning..no breaking down job after presented as one scope/project.

if she asked for that from beginning then outline cost A
Cost B etc

I would charge her a premium for the small scope..then add a cancellation penalty of 20% of the project.not the deposit...the project and give her back the rest.

if you have a contract what's she going to do?

Don't keep it all but don't give her what she thinks she's entitled to back..
don't end up in court over it..don't put yourself in the positions where she claims innocent woman and didn't want tou back to do the rest because the work wasn't good..or you scared her..or whatever.

whats the purpose of a contract if anyone can piss on it at anytime.there has to be consequence

1 - 13 of 13 Posts