Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently quoted a new 200 amp service upgrade. The job will require me to drill a 2 1/2 dia. hole through 8" of poured concrete with a layer of brick.

Could I please get some advise on what drill and attachments you guys would recomend. This is something that will not see daily use. But, i do not want to go cheap since it is the first and last one that I want to purchase.

In addition, I want something that I can buy a ground rod attachment for. I might as well get two birds stoned at once. It would be nice not to have to drive them manually.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a Bosch 1 1/2 spline drive and it will drill an 1 1/2" solid bit and I think up to a 4" dry core bit. I have drilled 2 1/2" with a core and no problem. I like the bosch and have had good luck with it but if money were no object I would go with a Hilti. As far as a ground rod driver we just put it on the rod no adapter an drive away.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
As wyoming 1 said. Dry core bit. I have drilled holes that size with cordless 18v drills. Wouldnt advist it but Dry core bits dont need massive amount of power. Just let them do the cutting and dont apply to much pressure.

I used fluted bits like below but longer. You dont have to get them silly long but 6" is a good size. That way you can get through most walls with the 1 attack and at worst 2.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why don't you just rent one. $54 for a half a day. How many times a year do you need one.

I live in a small town. We have one rental place that does not have what I need. The nearest towns to me that might have a rental place with one are over 30 miles away. Not worth the drive. Plus, if I am in the middle of a new service install I cannot take over 2 hours from the day to pick up and return. If you are going to be in business, you just have to have buy tools sometimes. I just want to get this purchase right the first time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hilti has a tool rental program. I think it is for a 3 year lease. I was renting two cordless drills, two cordless impact wrenches, a hammer drill and a cordless hammer drill from them. They supplied four batteries per cordless drill and chargers for each drill. And whenever I had a problem with one of the tools, I would call Hilti, they would send out a label or bag to return the item to them via ups and typically I had the tool replaced within a week.

One of the guys I worked with rented his hammer drills and laser levels from Hilti too.

If I recall, I think it was around $20 to $25 per month per tool.

Also, on Hilti's batteries, they had a refresh feature you were supposed to use after every 40 hours of usage. We hardly ever had problems with batteries. Seemed the only problem we had were with keyless chucks. Sand would always find a way to get in there and tear the bearings out.

We also used the hell out of those drills too. Building aluminum pool enclosures in Florida with engineering designed to withstand 140 mph wind gusts required a LOT of screws. someone once told me that a four man crew could run 2500 screws a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts