Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!. I bought a house about 2 years ago and I've been getting to know it. The house was build in 2004 and is the middle of a slope (street wise, VA) with a finished basement. When I first moved in, I notice the lowest corner of the house had a gutter issue where the rain water accumulated there and hit the bottom of that corner and eventually created some erosion. Fixed all of that and I even installed an external drain system. One day I saw a rodent go into a small opening at this corner and I knew there was something more to that. I made some drywall cuts from the inside and sure enough, there was a small hole at the slab directly from the out to the in. Out of desperation and threw some concrete in there. Now I'm trying to understand what I have. There is a foundation wall that meets the slab there. This wall obviously goes all across my whole basement but only about 4ft (behind a small part of finished wall) seems to be affected by the following. There is a 7/8 to an 1" width X 5" Height of gap between the slab and the wall at this corner. Was this done in purpose? Is it concrete Shrinkage or what exactly am I looking at? I can tell the gap was there before the framing because some of it is right along with the wall. Also for whatever reason, there seem to be some nails in this gap between the wall and the slab along the path. I'm so confused. Should this gap be there? patched? or? Thaks for any ideas, suggestions and/or comments.

Water Automotive tire Wood Sky Cloud
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Tape measure Ruler Wood Automotive tire Tree
Wood Wall Composite material Tints and shades Hardwood
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Brown Bedrock Trunk Terrestrial plant Soil
Water Wood Trunk Bedrock Formation
Wood Automotive tire Water Automotive wheel system Metal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.