Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime reader....first time poster. Looking for the best way to join rigid vinyl bullnose bead with bullnose arch bead. Never done bullnose before. Plenty of experience with square bead. I usually sub out drywall, but it's a small job.

Do you cope the bead to make a tight fit where the two beads meet at the beginning of the arch.....or just butt and mud. I plan on adhering with adhesive and staples. I've never seen any transition blocks for arches and please forgive my ignorance if the solution seems obvious.

I obviously just want the transition to look seamless and not to crack:shutup:.

If this question has already been posed please direct me to the thread.

Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks oldrivers....see you're in the Twin Cities too. I'm always looking for a good sub if you want to share contact info. Not sure how to do that privately in this forum.:001_unsure:

Thanks Again

·
Registered
46 Posts
it just takes some trial and error to get angle/curve cut to fit the arch piece to a straight vertical piece. Spray glue and staples like you said,then i would use some easy sand for a first coat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
wow look at all these fellow mners! guys staying busy? anyway.....

i'm assuming your using trim tex? make sure you apply adhesive on both the wall and bead liberally.. run the arch, like old rivers said, as far as you can past the arch and butt another piece of trim text bead up to it..

my dad and i just finished a 400 sheeter in wayzata, all bull nose with molding adapters and about 20 + arches. make sure you have plenty of staples because those bullnose arch flanges NEVER stay down. to prevent the cracking, staple the transition and throw a piece of tape over it.

also, not to get to far ahead of you, you'll want to get a bull nose rubber puck like mudding tool to coat the arch.. the arch incesions hit the face of the bead and need this tool for coat otherwise they can be stubborn to coat..

good to hear you have work.. GL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips....one more question. How do you handle the butt seams where the arch bead meets the rigid bead? Seems like they might not line up perfectly. Just feather a little mud over it? Actually that question would pertain to any seams with the bullnose bead.

....and I thought I knew enough about mudding/taping.:blink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts