Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to find out from other contractors if they feel they are treated fairly by Angie's List in regards to the web ads. I would like some feedback on whether they feel they are over paying for their advertising or paying a fair amount. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Charles

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
abmremodel said:
Signed up with them January 2014 haven't had a signal lead and paying 400 a month. Enough said :/
Have you asked them about why no leads at all from there adds with your company info .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Idiots state that I don't have enough reviews blah blah. Will see I'm giving them thill end of summer to fix this! Talking about angieslist makes me sick :/ another scam!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I'm listed with AL. 611 reviews to date, I cater to them and charge more than most.my experience has been that if you are honest to the point of being rude they love you!

Let the bashing begin.

·
Registered
819 Posts
they have been calling me weekly now for 2 years...they are hard core when it comes to sales....very annoying

for me they wanted $450 a month

ive known a few who paid...didnt do much for them

if you were on angies list 15 years ago you probably have 40-100 reviews and are set... if your like me (business is 8 years old) then you have 4 reviews...your at the bottom of the list...no one will find you...

if you pay then your at the top of the list....but with 4 reviews....who's going to choose you?....no one

the guys with 100 reviews+ are set...they get calls every week and get more reviews

guys like me with 4 reviews are stuck at the bottom....no one has ever choose me off of angies list.....ive just gotten lucky to have 4 customers i found through referrals that were also on angies list and reviewed me...

angies list is a scam as far as advertising

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
they have been calling me weekly now for 2 years...they are hard core when it comes to sales....very annoying

for me they wanted $450 a month

ive known a few who paid...didnt do much for them

if you were on angies list 15 years ago you probably have 40-100 reviews and are set... if your like me (business is 8 years old) then you have 4 reviews...your at the bottom of the list...no one will find you...

if you pay then your at the top of the list....but with 4 reviews....who's going to choose you?....no one

the guys with 100 reviews+ are set...they get calls every week and get more reviews

guys like me with 4 reviews are stuck at the bottom....no one has ever choose me off of angies list.....ive just gotten lucky to have 4 customers i found through referrals that were also on angies list and reviewed me...

angies list is a scam as far as advertising
I have two great Yelp reviews and get calls weekly. Cost? $0.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
My limited experience with AL members is that they're folks who've had terrible experiences with contractors (usually self-inflicted wounds from knowingly hiring someone unlicensed and under the table) and are incredibly mistrustful. They now want a third bid from someone with a license, but the job will still go to the lowest bid, even if it's under the table AGAIN. I can see how AL would work for service businesses, but not for remodeling work.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i have heard that AL members like coupons....if you dont offer a coupon your odds are dramatically less for getting the call.....they are supposed to be frugal people

i have 1 remodeler who gets most of his business from Angies list....and his customers are typically pretty decent....mid level ...no high end

·
Registered
67 Posts
I get about 20% of my business from Angies list. I bought my business 4 years ago this april. The previous owner did not do any advertising, it was all referrals. My second year, I decided to started to get some reviews, and found that the leads were decent. So I started to make a concerted effort to ask people to leave reviews. This is the third full year, and I have 48 reviews, all of them positive. Last year, I decided to pay their fee to get towards the top if the list when people search for roofers in my area, it is an effective way to get leads, I do not pay that much and I get three to 4 referrals weekly.

If you make the effort to have people leave feedback for your company, you will find that the reviews start to add up pretty quickly. I know a lot of people on CT do not like it, but I have nothing but good to say about it.

I also will add in a PITA factor when you get the customer who you can tell will need a babysitter.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts