Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would ask everyone what type of advertisement has worked best for your companies. Started in 2011, and had some success in the local home pages...However, referalls seem to have ended, and I suppose it is time to advertise again.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
There is no one, single method that works.

If there was, you wouldn't be asking because EVERYONE would be doing the same thing.

What you need to do is try something. Not just once or twice, but for a year. Track the results and see if it pays off. If so, increase your budget for it. If not, drop it and try something else.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
OSHAH8TER said:
I thought I would ask everyone what type of advertisement has worked best for your companies. Started in 2011, and had some success in the local home pages...However, referalls seem to have ended, and I suppose it is time to advertise again.
We need more details, what have you tried, what are you looking for...etc

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
Who is your target market?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "Home Pages" (a local small yellow pages book) worked well for the first couple years. I started this year with a webpage and getting my name found on google and bing. Absolutely none of my customers found me via internet search. Im in a rural area congested with "contractors"...Ive thought of doing home advisor, or possible a mailing list.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Think of a song that sticks into your head, then write a parody about your gig with that melody. I am not talking about a whole song, but something that last about 20 seconds. If it's good, then you can put it on the internet, or the radio.

The key is that the song should be one that almost everybody knows, and keep it short and sweet.

·
Your Smart Marketing Guru
20 Posts
480sparky is right. It’s basically a trial and error. You can do one marketing strategy at a time or do a combination and see what works and not. But you have to keep in mind that not every kind of advertisement would suit one’s business or would be the same for all businesses. With the fast and changing phase in today’s market, customers are getting smarter and picky while competition is getting bigger and stronger.

The type of marketing you need to use will always depend on your target market as well as your type of company and the products/services you use. It’s very important to do your market research and get to know where your audience is, what they want and how they want it.

Also try and track your competitors and see what works for them. This doesn’t necessarily mean to copy them but do something similar but unique at the same time and most of all, do better than them. Always try to be creative and different to stand out from the rest of the competition. And that you'll also need a lot of hardwork and patience as well.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,713 Posts
Think of a song that sticks into your head, then write a parody about your gig with that melody. I am not talking about a whole song, but something that last about 20 seconds. If it's good, then you can put it on the internet, or the radio.

The key is that the song should be one that almost everybody knows, and keep it short and sweet.
Works well....... until you get sued for infringement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OSHAH8TER said:
I'm a fan of the book "Guerrilla Marketing". Good ideas and tips on growing your business without huge outlay in cash.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
You mean you put up a website on your own without any web knowledge and your not being found on the internet?

Thats about right.

·
Marketing Consultant
35 Posts
Most contractors I work for get the bulk of their business out of their own websites and internet marketing, but they also report success from home shows, yard signs, branded trucks, some canvassing, direct mail and even radio.

They also noticed a huge decrease in leads coming from Yellow Pages printed ads just like you did. None of them is very fond of lead generation services either. They prefer to generate their own exclusive leads than to buy a lead from a third party service which is usually sold to some off their competitors as well.

I agree with 480sparky that it is all about experimentation, trial and error -- but experimentation can get really expensive. So before you start experimenting I´d strongly suggest that you crunch your numbers, figure out a marketing budget and how much can you afford to spend on a qualified lead.

I would also suggest implementing a good system to track your leads by source. Simply asking your customers where did they hear from you, when they call for an estimate is not the best way to track. We have data indicating that it is only 42% accurate -- and with such little accuracy is really hard to determine return of investment.

Tracking leads effectively also helps you save money by negotiating better deals and advertising packages with local media.

Once you have a budget, a figure for allowable lead cost, and a good way to track leads, it is much easier to shop for the type of advertising that will bring you the business you expect.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The "Home Pages" (a local small yellow pages book) worked well for the first couple years. I started this year with a webpage and getting my name found on google and bing. Absolutely none of my customers found me via internet search. Im in a rural area congested with "contractors"...Ive thought of doing home advisor, or possible a mailing list.
Ive been looking for an alternative to home advisor/service magic, haven't seem to find one yet..

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I signed up for a PPC campaign through my supplier for $99/month. Closed the deal on my first lead and paid for the campaign for a full year. Up until now, I was skeptical of having a web presence. That one phone call changed my perspective.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I signed up for a PPC campaign through my supplier for $99/month. Closed the deal on my first lead and paid for the campaign for a full year. Up until now, I was skeptical of having a web presence. That one phone call changed my perspective.
Beginner's luck :thumbup:

Some guys I talk to have to go through 10-15 leads before they get one job.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts