Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing some stuff now for a slumlord, I mean low income housing provider. He's not a bad guy, we all have our place. He asks me do I know of a sheetrock hanger, well my new neighbor said he was one, I played matchmaker, did not get involved :no:. Here are some results.

Attachments

·
Banned
846 Posts
For the benefit of us poor ignorant landscapers whose brains are fried by the sun and herbicide fumes and know little to nothing of sheetrock: What the problem is?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
For the benefit of us poor ignorant landscapers whose brains are fried by the sun and herbicide fumes and know little to nothing of sheetrock: What the problem is?[/quote]

1. Creating more time for finishers to patch up cracks, holes, sanding, and even out surfaces, or replace sheet, etc.

2. More time means more costly fix to HO too, etc.

·
Banned
846 Posts
I've never hung sheetrock in my life, so I honestly wouldn't know how it's supposed to look. Doesn't a coat of "bondo" go over the sheetrock to make it smooth? Or textured as the case may be. Could you possible post a picture of properly hung sheetrock for comparison purposes?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I've never hung sheetrock in my life, so I honestly wouldn't know how it's supposed to look. Doesn't a coat of "bondo" go over the sheetrock to make it smooth? Or textured as the case may be. Could you possible post a picture of properly hung sheetrock for comparison purposes?
We try not to Bondo our drywall
east of the Mississippi! :laughing:

http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/Bondo/

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I can see that being a problem if he isn't finishing it, but if he is finishing it himself, he will soon learn to either let someone who knows what they are doing handle it, or do it right the first time, maybe he actually thinks it is supposed to be like that? Maybe he wasn't ever properly trained. I know a guy that thinks the walls are to be hung first, and that you don't stagger the seams on the ceiling because it is too much moving around instead of just one straight line :eek:

·
Banned
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see that being a problem if he isn't finishing it, but if he is finishing it himself, he will soon learn to either let someone who knows what they are doing handle it, or do it right the first time
This explains why he told me he'd hang it but wouldnt finish it because he hated it. He's my neighbor so I said nothing. Will not try to get him anymore work though.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
This is the proper way, see how all the seems are nice and tight. :whistling

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
It looks to me like the problems started before the hanger started. There shouldn't be devices in the electric boxes and the window frame disallows continuous drywall installation.

Certainly the hanging was sloppy and there are not nearly enough fasteners, but the problems on that job predate the hanging of sheetrock. From the looks of your pictures, and what is actually visible, I'd bet that the sheetrock is hiding more problems than were created by the sloppy hanging job.

The first electrical box (steel, switch) appears to be improperly installed and improperly grounded.
The second electrical box (plastic, switch) appears to be poorly installed (crooked) and the switch is not grounded.
The third electrical box (plastic, receptacle) has the romex improperly run into the box.

So, a non-electrician butchered the electrical work causing very real hazards yet you complain about the sloppy cuts on the drywall.

Reactions: Celtic

·
ampman
783 Posts
It looks to me like the problems started before the hanger started. There shouldn't be devices in the electric boxes and the window frame disallows continuous drywall installation.

Certainly the hanging was sloppy and there are not nearly enough fasteners, but the problems on that job predate the hanging of sheetrock. From the looks of your pictures, and what is actually visible, I'd bet that the sheetrock is hiding more problems that were created by the sloppy hanging job.

The first electrical box (steel, switch) appears to be improperly installed and improperly grounded.
The second electrical box (plastic, switch) appears to be poorly installed (crooked) and the switch is not grounded.
The third electrical box (plastic, receptacle) has the romex improperly run into the box.

So, a non-electrician butchered the electrical work causing very real hazards yet you complain about the sloppy cuts on the drywall.
yes i agree devices go in after drywall is finished ,electrical is hacked too

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Did the drywall come from the broken sheet pile at the dumpster?
No those were full sheets, but I always cut them up small like that so they are easier to carry.

·
Banned
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The system was butchered, missing grounds, hots on the wrong side etc.

A crooked plastic box, come on man.

Everthing is in order as best that can be with 3 generations of wiring. Everything is grounded. Its solid.

He could have cut close for the switches and outlets.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.