Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your thoughts on advantech versus plywood , is advantech a lot better than plywood and what's the cost difference. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
27,719 Posts
Im starting to think Advantech is better than CDX. Always used 5/8 radiant barrier CDX on the roofs, 1 1/8 TNG on 16's, glued and screwed on decks. A buddy of mine who is also a builder is using Advantech on everything. Ive liked what I have seen.

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks , I been seeing it a lot on job sites , also a buddy of mine built a house and it rained on it for days and no problems

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
Besides being wonderful, it's stronger than the same thickness plywood - has better span ratings.

It used to be cheaper than plywood, now nothing is cheap.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,702 Posts
I framed for many years and trust me, advantek is fantastic. Unlike plywood it with stands rain , snow and ice.
I'm on a job right now that the decking was open to the elements for 6 months. Sheeted with. advantech I wont have to sand any joints, no swelling at all. I'm for sure a fan.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
We started framing on a house on December 27th. Took almost 6 weeks during the worst winter in recent memory to close it in. Snow drifts were still on the first deck after we got the roof on. Looking at it today, you would never know. Advantech is simply amazing.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Aint that the truth. It is crazy how much material is costing the last 4 years. I see drywall jumped again. That stuffs getting out of control. But the worst part is when you give a price and they look at you like your crazy. My labor is the same as 4 years ago but the material is stupid now.
Saw drywall was up today. Amazing.

I read on another thread that fasteners were going to go up big time. Anyone else hear that?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been using it for a few years also. I've actually had a piece of it just sitting outside in the elements for 4-5 years with no sign of delamination. Two years ago when I replaced the 2x12's in the bottom of my 16' utility/shingle debris trailer, I overlayed it with Advantech. When I dump I have a simple old rim & tire with a log chain attached that I attach the other end to a bull dozer to pull shingles out of the trailer. The Advantech decking has held up great for 2 years so far.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,649 Posts
I've been using it for a few years also. I've actually had a piece of it just sitting outside in the elements for 4-5 years with no sign of delamination.
I kept a chunk in a pail of water for a year or so, and I made a cold frame out of it that has been in direct ground contact for 5+ years Cut edges will eventually swell, and the wood fibers eventually degrade with exposure to sunlight and water. It doesn't warp, though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish they'd use more advatech/zip board around here. I dont know the cost difference off the top of my head but you can certainly see the difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It seamed brittle to me, lots of edges breaking off. Also it's very waxy, I wonder how well the subfloor glue sticks to it.

I did an ICF house that used it a few years ago and didn't see much benefit. I prefer Weyerhaeuser's edge gold. Probably just a regional thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts