Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Depends on the situation but you just opened up a can of worms topic. If its new building roof with simple plan trusses. I find hip trusses to be a pita and see no reason to use them. If its extending a roofline you might as well just cut it in as opposed to trying to figure out trusses then get them delivered and have them all wrong.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
What are your reasons for avoiding trusses?
If an Architect spec's them, I will use them. I must say that's rare. Last time I used trusses was 3 years ago, before that probably 10 years. I guess it's the Architects that I frame from don't see the need to use trusses.

·
Design Build
8,311 Posts
What are your reasons for avoiding trusses?

Welcome to CT...........great question.

1. Pick what works best for each situation.
2. Install only what you are capable of and good at.
3. Install only what can pass code.
4. Choose whatever system makes you the most $$$. A framer may have a different opinion about who keeps the $$$ as opposed to a truss salesman.
5. Do whatever is spec'd...unless its up to you.

Us the CT thread search option.......there is lots of opinion on this topic.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
My favorite part of framing is figuring out the rooflines. Joists, walls and sheathing are just means to an end. 90% of the homes I've framed over the last 20+ years had height restrictions that were strictly enforced.
In addition, most of these homes had very intricate rooflines that wouldn't be practical with trusses.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Since my primary interest is building affordable homes, simple roof lines, trusses save me a lot of grief, and we do utilize scissors to open up rooms.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I personally feel roof framing is what seperates the men from the boys hince why I wish I was alot more knowledgeable in it

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
I think whether or not trusses are used is more than just how cheaply you want to build the house. Around here, trusses are very common in almost all houses. I have framed hundreds of houses and probably only 5 that did not have trusses. We have two major truss manufacturers within 20 miles of each other. We have used trusses in many homes over 10,000 sq ft. There are some situations where it is not possible to span without using them. Please don't tell me about using 16 inch tji spanning 30 feet. Aint gonna happen here with our snow loads.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I think whether or not trusses are used is more than just how cheaply you want to build the house. Around here, trusses are very common in almost all houses. I have framed hundreds of houses and probably only 5 that did not have trusses. We have two major truss manufacturers within 20 miles of each other. We have used trusses in many homes over 10,000 sq ft. There are some situations where it is not possible to span without using them. Please don't tell me about using 16 inch tji spanning 30 feet. Aint gonna happen here with our snow loads.
Here's one example. I didn't frame this one, but the plans crossed my desk. No way conventional framing lumber would have done it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
I could frame that without trusses
Not sure what snow load is where warren is but open rooms with bigs spans can become unpractical when your trying to build to a 70+ snow load. Seeing as how he lists ne ohio i would imagine his snow load from the lake is comperable to ours.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If the portion of the roof is so complicated that the truss company can't figure it out. I remember one house design in a tract I was framing had a funny section to it, every time the truss company sent out the trusses they would never work right. Finally they gave up and quit sending them, so we had to stick frame it.

Other than that, if you have a small section that the homeowner wanted to add later, like a six foot section of roof that sticks out for a porch. It would probably be more worthwhile to stick frame it then it would to order trusses.

One other reason, if you want a 12:12 or higher roof pitch with living space within the roof, can't use trusses.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
If the portion of the roof is so complicated that the truss company can't figure it out. I remember one house design in a tract I was framing had a funny section to it, every time the truss company sent out the trusses they would never work right. Finally they gave up and quit sending them, so we had to stick frame it.

Other than that, if you have a small section that the homeowner wanted to add later, like a six foot section of roof that sticks out for a porch. It would probably be more worthwhile to stick frame it then it would to order trusses.

One other reason, if you want a 12:12 or higher roof pitch with living space within the roof, can't use trusses.
Ever heard of attic trusses?

Trusses nowadays are vastly improved over what was used 10 years ago. Not so much the material and assembly, but from an engineering standpoint. We have done some very complicated roofs that were almost entirely trussed. Sometimes as many as 200 different profiles. Earlier this year, we built a three story house that had 2000 sq ft on the third floor. The entire third floor was made possible with some huge 4 ply girders, 52 feet long, with attic trusses hanging from them. We had a point load at one post location in excess of 50,000 pounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
trusses are a god-send!

too bad wood isn't steel and gusset connections are not welds. :clap:

Neither are rafters and nails. We know how you feel Clem. Probably in your neck of the woods, the truss companies cater to the production builders. Thats not the case everywhere. Most of the stick framed houses I have done were done because they wanted to optimize the ceiling spaces. In that regard, stick is the way to go. Just tired of a lot of guys here who think that trusses are for dummies or somehow if you use trusses you are cheating.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts