Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a tight spot--no room to extend/raise stringers, and they are already nailed in, so I don't want to pull them out.

What might be the best way to adjust some of the stringer treds that are about 1/16 off level?

I am considering just using a hammer and chisel, but was wondering if there is a good tool for this?

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! it did occur to me, but am worried it might be difficult to cut level at perpendicular position...

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
This, or its 14 dollar cousin at Harbor Freight:

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am in a tight spot--no room to extend/raise stringers, and they are already nailed in, so I don't want to pull them out.

What might be the best way to adjust some of the stringer treds that are about 1/16 off level?

I am considering just using a hammer and chisel, but was wondering if there is a good tool for this?
I am thinking that you mean the "stair treads", and who noticed that they are 1/16" out of level? You, or the home owner? Is this a old set of stairs, or a newly installed set?
For a 1/16th of a inch, I just might leave them that way!
Just my 2 cents here!

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I am thinking that you mean the "stair treads", and who noticed that they are 1/16" out of level? You, or the home owner? Is this a old set of stairs, or a newly installed set?
Just my 2 cents here![/QUOTE]

that's it,, shim it with a penny.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just my 2 cents here![/QUOTE]

that's it,, shim it with a penny.
jaydee, you MIGHT owe me some change here! LOL

I just get confused at times! Is it just me???

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This, or its 14 dollar cousin at Harbor Freight:
ha! I had one in my hand the other day and decided to think about it. then just now I was reviewing the you tubes and see that it can probably handle it (don't think a dreml could)
Thanks! probably the solution.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I dont know that I would worry about a sixteenth either, Highly doubtful that it would be noticeable.
I know, but I just have a difficult time with things not being a certain way if I can help it…

thanks for the comments. I can't believe there isn't an electric planer that is not made for tight spots other than the dreml type, but at least the germans make a good 'un

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.