Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 9' tall concrete seawall. depending on the lake level, and the placement of my dock, i need a set up steps that will vary in height from 5'-8' and keep the treads level. i know that the rise can be little or none or pretty tall depending on the lake level, but it's an annual hassle to get either new steps built, or go up and down ones that are unsafe because of the tread angle.
the way it is set up, we have a dock that is floated in place in the spring and placed height wise according to the level of the lake. this varies from year to year and from spring to fall. the stairs we have built rest on top of the sea wall, and bottom is fastened to the dock. i'll try and get some pictures.

any of you know of any good companies that manufacture something like this? i'm seeing airplane stuff, but way too expensive and tall for my needs.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not use a pivoting ramp?
have thought about that, but docks can only extend 40' into the lake from the current high water level. right now, the water is about 1' up on my 9' wall. on dry years, i may have 7'-8' of beach i have to span by using a filler dock section to fill the gap. when the lake is low, the ramp would be pretty dang steep or have to make the ramp so it went out at least half the length of my dock. like i said, i'll get some pics of it tonight so you guys know what i mean. thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steps down to the high point, then a landing, then a pivoting ramp.
once i get the pictures posted, you will see why i can't do that. my house faces NW with 2.5 miles of lake in front of it. spring storms when the ice comes off the lake would wipe them right out of there, unless i made steps that i could remove each fall. might be something to consider.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Perhaps a permanent set that extends below.. Then 'dock' the dock alongside? The grand kids could use it for swimming too

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
I saw a set of steps like these on a project that I looked at a couple years ago. I don't think that I took any pics though. The homeowner had constructed them himself.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I'd be falling off those steps after a few too many. :drink::drink:

Due to tide changes here we use ladders with handrails to get to floating docks here.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
I'd be falling off those steps after a few too many. :drink::drink:

Due to tide changes here we use ladders with handrails to get to floating docks here.

Ladder would be the better option in that scenario. Cut a hole in the dock to allow it to rise around the ladder.

·
Designer/Contractor
5,022 Posts
Make a pivoting ramp with ridges for traction, hinge at the top, wheels or glides at the bottom and a handrail on either side of the ramp. Just extend it a little more so the pitch isn't too steep.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Rio said:
A pivoting ramp will work, hinge at the top, wheels or glides at the bottom and a handrail on either side of the stairs. You could easily fabricate one for a set of stairs like you showed.
Once again, the ramp would have to be 96 feet long to be legal

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Could you somehow have the dock (with a handrail on opposite side) adjacent the stairs? Or extra steps run through the dock, with dock sliding in and out seasonally as necessary?

·
Designer/Contractor
5,022 Posts
Once again, the ramp would have to be 96 feet long to be legal
If you're referring to ADA regulations I don't think that applies to private docks (be sure and verify this before proceeding!), and I don't think it applies to floating docks to pier arrangements generally because I see plenty of commercial ones and none are ADA compliant for the reason you lay out; they just won't work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts