Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
just use a butter knife, save buying a trowel, unless you can get a combo, v notch, square, they are hard to find but worth buying, china has been the leading souce for these. i like the ones with the elephant four skin wrapped handle, the more you use it the bigger the handle gets, but do not work the handle back and forth, just side to side.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What's kinda funny is him asking in the wrong forum.

On a side note...has anyone heard of Sashco? They make caulking products.

My shower stall has tile next to the bathtub with some cracking grout there.

Supposedly, Sashco makes a mildew resistant caulking whereby they will pay your labor and materials if it mildews up within 7 years. That's a pretty bold guarantee.
it's called MildewFree Sealant. I emailed their rep because they said Loews and Ace stocked it...both don't. I emailed them my frustration about their "store finder".

He emailed me back and apologized and is sending a tube of the stuff to me.

Polyseamseal also has anti-microbial ingredients in it. Some caulk makers won't reveal their anti-mildew ingredients.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Apply contact cement to both surfaces with a 3/8 inch nap mini roller. Let it tack up and then press the tiles into place. Be careful because you won't be able to adjust them once they are down. Use architectural grout to lock everything and prevent cracking if the surface moves a little bit. I have been doing this for years and have excellent results.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Apply contact cement to both surfaces with a 3/8 inch nap mini roller. Let it tack up and then press the tiles into place. Be careful because you won't be able to adjust them once they are down. Use architectural grout to lock everything and prevent cracking if the surface moves a little bit. I have been doing this for years and have excellent results.
All the other replies have been sarcastic, I have a feeling your serious?

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
sunkist said:
just use a butter knife, save buying a trowel, unless you can get a combo, v notch, square, they are hard to find but worth buying, china has been the leading souce for these. i like the ones with the elephant four skin wrapped handle, the more you use it the bigger the handle gets, but do not work the handle back and forth, just side to side.
That elephant foreskin handle is the chit!

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I used to do the whole "rip out and rebuild" thing for tile....until I found "spray tile"! Simply shake the can and spray wherever you want tile! You can do a whole tub surround or shower in 1/2 hour and the HO can use it right away.....lmao!

Seriously though, I noticed the OP is from Ontario so I'll keep my sarcasm to the above. If he comes back and reads this, head on over to the TILE section and educate yourself on proper tiling techniques.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I see a room full of everyone who posted a reply: guys sitting around laughing as each reply if funnier than the last. And then you suggest this and everyone stops laughing and the room hours quiet as everyone looks at you with a "what?" kinda look on their face. lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
I see a room full of everyone who posted a reply: guys sitting around laughing as each reply if funnier than the last. And then you suggest this and everyone stops laughing and the room hours quiet as everyone looks at you with a "what?" kinda look on their face. lol
I'm socially awkward... :jester:

It's tough to top elephant foreskin!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts