Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im putting 3.5" vinyl trim around my windows and doors instead J-Channel.....but when i take the miter cut and overlap the square piece....it doesnt lay perfectly flat everytime...Is there a type of adhesive i could dab on the corner to hold them together?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
im putting 3.5" vinyl trim around my windows and doors instead J-Channel.....but when i take the miter cut and overlap the square piece....it doesnt lay perfectly flat everytime...Is there a type of adhesive i could dab on the corner to hold them together?
Thats why I try not to use lineals. To answer your question Not really.. You could use a rivet but that looks like crap too

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cmon there has to be some kind of adhesive.....i already knew i could prob use a rivet but would rather try some adhesive first

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
As long as you do a better job than this loser. This is the way about 60+ windows looked on a big commercial job I looked at last week. Whole place was a mess soffit falling down, facia falling down, siding buckling everywhere

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
As much as I also don't like using the lineals,a little practice goes a long ways in getting it to look good.

First make sure that the starter remains on the same plane all around the window and lays flat.
Sometimes putting a nail under the outside edge starter( leave it sticking out a bit) will help it hold the the starter flush against the window and wall.

Once you get your legnths cut,make sure they don't bind when they overlap each other.
You got to remember this stuff is going to move,and allow for this.
Any tight fits will cause the face to buckle a bit.
As long as the lineals have been laid flat and out of the direct sun they should fit good.

Since this stuff will expand and contract,I always start the 45* angles leaving about a 3/8" square edge to hide any shrinkage.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I hope your joking :rolleyes:
yeah, joking. well, maybe...

Look. the piece will never lay flat. with expansion and contraction, it will eventuaLLY LOOK LIKE SH!t anyways. the under lap piece? you got to trim and tailor it- to fit. simple.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
maybe what you would be better off looking for is a double stick tape with a high strength adhesive,
like that pro tape that alumapole sells with the vinyl coil

maybe try the linials that are foam filled?

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
are you installing the lineals according to the manufacturer's instructions? I've only done one job w/ lineals....but performed the cuts exactly to the instructions and after getting 'up to speed' they turned out fine. a miter saw is necessary to get crisp straight 45's.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
i think im gonna use a small pop rivet.....alcoa makes them in the same color....it might not be too bad
Please don't.

I believe in following directions. No where in the directions does it say to use pop rivit or glue.
Do like someone suggested and buy the foam filled. Other than that, you will have to live with it.:eek:

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
I don't recall seeing instructions in any of my boxes of vinyl....except Cedar Discovery.

if you can find the mastic/alcoa installers guide, it has the two page instructions on how to properly cut/trim the lineals-if done properly they shouldn't leak.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
with flashing and flange build up trying to get a lineal to sit flat
is almost impossible, the new construction starter that has the double nail slots and a haunch that accommodates the flange helps but i haven't seen that in awhile

1 - 20 of 23 Posts