Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about websites so if this is a noob question, just go ahead and flame me, I can take it.

I have a website already, have had it for a few years. I recently purchased another website address through the same server company. In the servers control panel, it listed that I can use it as an add on to my existing site.

The structure of the add-on goes like this

oldsite.com/public_html/newsite/index.html

when I first set it up, I initially saw the web address say "newsite.oldsite.com" then in less than a second, it switched to "newsite.com" which is of course what I want it to be and it has stayed that way, the marvel of the internets.

My question is does this affect my new site for SEO if I leave the structure the way it is and piggy back it, and is it wise to leave the new site like this or would it be best to set up a new server independent of the old site?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,546 Posts
I just don't know the answer is all. How can a noob have dumb questions? They usually know very little and need to ask quesions to learn.

·
Sean
5,532 Posts
Ok, let me take a stab at this, because the way you have it worded is confusing the he11 out of me (just think of someone trying to explain building a header - as 2 horizontal members with a short & long vertical members towards the end)

You had a domain called "Framer1", you purchased a new domain called "GodToGCs"

When you were going through the setup, you saw what was called a sub domain so you started setting it up as godtogcs.framer1 correct? When it asked you where you wanted the files (as it appears you have a private & public area) you put them in the public area of framer1 --- thus looking at it in folder view it would appear as \framer1\public\godtogcs\

Now you managed to get that almost finished (or completely finished) & your ISP finally got you setup properly (i.e. what you purchased) which was that you have two different domains. Now you have framer1 & godtogcs as separate domains

Each site's SEO is separate of each other - they are two different addresses completely, you can have them link to each other, do web redirects, etc...

As you paid for a new domain, that is how you really want it set up - sub-domains are ok but not ideal for websites. Yes there are exceptions - a GC that does K&B, etc... They may want one place that is strictly baths, one kitchens - but everything goes through their main site first. In my case my blog is a sub-domain. In your case a private.godtogcs might me an option while godtogcs is public

Did this help & is that what you did? May I also suggest hiring someone to help you on it?

·
Insert title
4,692 Posts
oldsite.com/public_html/newsite/index.html

when I first set it up, I initially saw the web address say "newsite.oldsite.com" then in less than a second, it switched to "newsite.com" which is of course what I want it to be and it has stayed that way, the marvel of the internets.

My question is does this affect my new site for SEO if I leave the structure the way it is and piggy back it, and is it wise to leave the new site like this or would it be best to set up a new server independent of the old site?
If I'm not mistaken you are trying to run two sites on some sort of shared hosting? If so be prepared for a hair pulling experience each time you load files to the server if they end up under the wrong site. I use to host a few at Goddady with that shared crap and ended up going elsewhere for hosting with a cpanel for each site.

In reference to SEO, assuming that they are both work related sites for you are you going to keep both of them live and active? If so, just don't use the same exact content on both of them.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, let me take a stab at this, because the way you have it worded is confusing the he11 out of me (just think of someone trying to explain building a header - as 2 horizontal members with a short & long vertical members towards the end)

You had a domain called "Framer1", you purchased a new domain called "GodToGCs"

When you were going through the setup, you saw what was called a sub domain so you started setting it up as godtogcs.framer1 correct? When it asked you where you wanted the files (as it appears you have a private & public area) you put them in the public area of framer1 --- thus looking at it in folder view it would appear as \framer1\public\godtogcs\

Now you managed to get that almost finished (or completely finished) & your ISP finally got you setup properly (i.e. what you purchased) which was that you have two different domains. Now you have framer1 & godtogcs as separate domains

Each site's SEO is separate of each other - they are two different addresses completely, you can have them link to each other, do web redirects, etc...

As you paid for a new domain, that is how you really want it set up - sub-domains are ok but not ideal for websites. Yes there are exceptions - a GC that does K&B, etc... They may want one place that is strictly baths, one kitchens - but everything goes through their main site first. In my case my blog is a sub-domain. In your case a private.godtogcs might me an option while godtogcs is public

Did this help & is that what you did? May I also suggest hiring someone to help you on it?
Yes, that helped alot. I will take your suggestion also since I know just enough to really **** it all up :laughing:

Thank You

1 - 9 of 9 Posts