Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently estimating a job for an addition and it will require tieing into existing rafter system. My question is do i cut into the the existiog roof or jus nail straight into the roof with my ridge pole and rafters? I will be stick building this project.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
That depends on your load specs.
If its a gable roof your adding, with an open cieling, the ridge will have to be supported at the contact point of the existing.
If its a gable with a drop cieling, you can yuse the collar ties (cieling joist) to help distribute the weight.
If it's a lean to roof, it's all cosmetic, you should be able to set right down on existing.
But remember I havn't seen your project.
Post some specs or drawings, I'm sure I can help you out.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response Bob. Its nice to know someone will help you. How do i post my drawings? Keep in mind that i am as country as cornbread and all i have is a literal drawing. Pad and paper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i also have an addition i am working on and the client wants to use trusses in the addition, rafters in the existing early wartime house, i am planing on cutting out the existing plywood and shingles in order to insulate and re-insulate right through the entire attic. and for future use i think it would be better if anyone needs to get up into the attic they don't have to use two points of entry.

·
Eater of sins.
4,367 Posts
I always remove the roofing material so that my framing touches their framing. Dont think there is a code against it but that's just the way I roll..
Can't think of a code against doing it but there will be blocking between the two for shear transfer, especially with an engineered design (which you would probably have to do).

Andy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts