Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Doing the trimwork in a small addition as well as a maple built-in. The built-in will match the new kitchen.

CAD

Matching the Stain.

Step 1: Spray dye the maple with a custom mix of Trantint dyes. Water used as the "solvent".
Step 2: Spray two light wash-coats of finished (water based finished thinned 2 parts water, 1 part finish)
Step 3: Sand with 400 to de-nib and remove grain raise.
Step 4: Apply Oil-based pigment stain, wipe off when it starts to flash.
Step 5: Apply finish coats.

I simply used Varathane Polyurethane on these, I might switch to EM6000 or 7000 for the finished product.

Starting the build:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice pics. Where's the built in going? The right unit doesn't have doors. Is that just the drawing or is it for something already in the room?

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finishing.

1) Spray 50% washcoat of EM1000 and Water to help control the cheap maple during staining.
2) Lightly Scuff with 400 to remove grain raise.
3) Spray stain using light coats of Transtint Dye mixture dissolved in water
4) Lock it down with EM1000
5) Lightly Scuff with 220 to remove nibs and "roughen" surface.
6) Apply Sherwin Williams Wood Classics oil stain.
7) Lock it down with EM1000
8) Sand smooth with 400.
9) Top coat with Crosslinked EM7000 High Build Lacquer.

This is the last coat of EM1000 after the oil stain...I couldn't figure out why it went on so crappy...then i realized I had a 1.7 tip in the gun...not the 1.4 I used on previous coats....Despite this it leveled out when it dried.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice.

Do you install your shims on the top and bottom of the hinges for all three hinges or just the top one? Reasoning?

I install shims above and below the top hinge and the bottom hinge.
I do this the properly support the hinge without the protruding hinge screws getting in the way. The center hinge just gets shimmed above or below..it doesn't do much.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
Fantastic as always!! Why the em1000 vs a lacquer based stain and some blending coats?

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I try to use all water borne finishes. I do use shellac to add amber coloring and or as a tie coat for problem stains. I also use oil wiping stains as I like the long open time to work with it. I am still very new and mostly self taught at finishing.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
TBFGhost said:
I try to use all water borne finishes. I do use shellac to add amber coloring and or as a tie coat for problem stains. I also use oil wiping stains as I like the long open time to work with it. I am still very new and mostly self taught at finishing.
I was curious..I like to learn what others do...I am no finishing guru. I have also had good luck spraying Sherwood oil wiping stain, wiping it off, and if needed I can turn the material use way down on my gun and almost airbrush on a blending coat if it's a blotchy looking stain job.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I think I got the color pretty good, the door sitting on top the fireplace was the second sample I was given to match. The crown is darker but not as drastic as the photos make it out to be. I still need more practice with finishing but I am getting much better and everyone is happy with it.

·
Administrator
44,130 Posts
Nice.

Finishing. Yep, wipe the stain on wipe it off, perfect. That's what the clients think. You just wipe it on and the color is perfect on every board, yep, no problem...cause that's the way stain works. In la la land.

Keeping a color consistent on wood is a big problem and you have to be vigilant about it. It really is very difficult to have a constant smooth color over an entire job. That's why in manufactured cabinets they spray on a colored lacquer. And that is why you see glazing so often, because the sprayed on color is so monotone that it's boring and has no depth and you need something to spruce it up.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the color came from some factory cabinets there we being used for the kitchen island. That door on top of the fire place was the supposed color...

We get to the job, bring in the cabinets and I about **** myself to see my color is a bit more brown and not as "deep". "But it matched in the shop under normal florescent lights, under halogens, under sun light and under daylight florescent.....how could it not match here...

Sure enough, two seconds later the client picks up on it...I go out to the trailer, grab the sample door and bring it in....the island was toned so heavy you might as well have painted it. The grain was so obscured is was sad...long story short, my finish matches the color I was given so I got a pass.

TO be honest I am very excited for the next job, It has become my goal to get good as finishing....I really need a booth tho...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts