Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
General Contractor
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that wants to extend their porch 2' on either side. I am going to sub contract out the footings portion, but I would like to get some info for my own knowledge. I was wondering what the best way was to add on to the existing footings.

I am guessing the porch footings go all the way down to the basement footings and I would like to avoid having to pay someone to go down that far. Is it general practice to tie into the existing house\porch footings with re bar? Our normal depth requirement for footings here in Michigan is 42".

Scott

·
Registered
261 Posts
highly doubtful that the porch footings go down that far. they should only be at required frost level. pretty much drill/grout rebar in and add to it. (this is all speculative without pics)

·
General Contractor
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The house is a bit older and the few porches I have done that age all had the footings down to the basement as they were poured at the same time. I will not know for sure until they dig down, but I just want to cover all of my bases in case it is. I called the city to see what they will require either way. I have attached a photo

Attachments

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Find something @ 4' and drill the piss out of it and pour footings or goto the main footing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a customer that wants to extend their porch 2' on either side. I am going to sub contract out the footings portion, but I would like to get some info for my own knowledge. I was wondering what the best way was to add on to the existing footings.

I am guessing the porch footings go all the way down to the basement footings and I would like to avoid having to pay someone to go down that far. Is it general practice to tie into the existing house\porch footings with re bar? Our normal depth requirement for footings here in Michigan is 42".

Scott
I would pour new 42" footings on all three side. So you get one continuos pour. And add rebar tied to basement wall to new footings. The odds are the new added 2' footing on both sides will settle and crack the new walls
and cap. I've seen it many times. Also I doubt the current footing goes down to the basement unless there there is some sort of wine cellar underneath the porch. Pm me if you have any ? We do a lot of work in Macomb / Oakland county in MI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts