Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
Computer Technology
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Homeowner with only minor framing experience here, working solo, so laugh now and get it out of your systems, then reply please.

House was designed with a 4th bedroom option, and I want to put it in. It is being cut from the master bedroom space, and two existing walls are to be "reused".
My goal is to add two interior walls, and cut in a doorway into an existing wall for the room entry.
My concern revolves around the vaulted ceiling.

1) If a new house has an extra bedroom option, how often, if ever, would they frame for the doorway for #4, into the hallway?
Also, where the 4th bedroom wall would have been joined to the exterior, do they generally put in the stud(s) to mount it up against?

2) The vault is just a simple sloped ceiling, but the topmost segment reaches 12 feet. The "long wall" will be around 11 feet high. The flooring is concrete, under the carpet.
Does the following plan make sense?

a) Cut away carpet, and concrete screw down a sill plate with treated lumber.
b) Cut away ceiling sheet rock to expose trusses (likely simple 2x6 or 2x10) as well as exterior wall mount point.
c) Create a "two part" top plate (one solid 2x4, one at the proper angle cut) and mount to the trusses with screws, and later swap in truss clips.

>> this bit is the main question>>
d) Is it best to...

1) Build an 11 foot balloon frame, and slide it into place, and hope everything is square and level, between the two plates?
or 2) Put in each stick up one at a time and toenail them all in?
or 3) Put up an 8 ft wall, and then cripple wall above that, adding a stick at a time (as I would not be able to lift the cripple wall up there.)

Reminder: I have no helpers.

Lastly, should I skin the wall with plywood with the balloon framing?
It's an interior wall, but some soundproofing between a kids room and a master seems like an idea.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Banned
Computer Technology
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings Bee Kay. This forum is for professional contractors. You can get assistance for your project at the sister site, DIY Chatroom. Good luck!
Given what I've seen here so far, there are plenty of "professionals" who are asking questions that I could answer here, as it's out of their sphere of experience.
I would much rather hear answers from professional contractors, versus DIY folk, as they're held accountable for their work, and I like my work done at a professional level, but all too often these jobs are "too small" for most contractors to even waste their time to come over and do an estimate.

I've converted a garage into a bedroom and bath, cut through exterior load bearing walls to install double french doors, replaced my 60amp electrical main with a 200Amp service, from the periscope down, and tore out my kitchen to the wall studs and replaced it, moving my laundry into the kitchen at the same time, relocating water, mechanical, gas, and electrical, and pulled my own permits for this project, and passed ALL of my inspections for this project, on the first go.

If I hadn't mentioned that I was not a "general contractor", it's very likely you would have simply helped out. I was asking a professional opinion on how they'd do the work, if they had to do so "without assistance." The website didn't ask for a GC license number, so, I thought I'd be welcome. Perhaps you could update your signup screen to include such "requirements?"
BTW, I have done contract work, just not in the construction field. ;)

·
Banned
Computer Technology
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I got the Admin message, which does state the purpose of the site. Enjoy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Not my site, nor my rules. If I hadn't directed you to the diy site, then someone else would have or asked you what trade you're in. There are plenty of pros at the diy site, including a number of them from here.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,207 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Homeowner and/or Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
60,207 Posts
Is it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.