Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a client that wants to change the grade over his septic field. What is the maxium cover for a field line that will not interfere with the function of the system??
Thanks Bruce

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I've never seen a maximum cover requirement for a drain field - only minimum. I'm asuming you're talking about a standard distribution field consisting of pipes buried in crushed stone or gravel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is a standard system. I was under the impression that evaporation was how the system worked and added dirt (2 feet) would restrict this.
Later Bruce

·
Retired Contractor
1,197 Posts
Cliffhanger,

You are correct. Though it seems like it is not, Leach Fields do operate on an evaporation principal. In my part of the countyr it is a minimunm of 12" and a max of 24" of cover. All this is depending on the type of soil to begin with. I have too often seen landscapers add way too much fill over the fields. While we are at it. You never plant bushes or trees in a leach field. I love watching them add $10k worth of plantings, trees and bushes all the while driving over the fields. I put those homeowners on a mailing list as their system will fail within a few years.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Digger1799 said:
Cliffhanger,

You are correct. Though it seems like it is not, Leach Fields do operate on an evaporation principal. In my part of the countyr it is a minimunm of 12" and a max of 24" of cover. All this is depending on the type of soil to begin with. I have too often seen landscapers add way too much fill over the fields. While we are at it. You never plant bushes or trees in a leach field. I love watching them add $10k worth of plantings, trees and bushes all the while driving over the fields. I put those homeowners on a mailing list as their system will fail within a few years.
On one note Digger I've had to install systems up to 5' deep, sometimes you just have to go by soil types and as long as there is no evidence of mottelingyou can be deeper in the ground. You do though have to put risers over the d-boxes and tank covers though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cliffhanger said:
Hi All,
I have a client that wants to change the grade over his septic field. What is the maxium cover for a field line that will not interfere with the function of the system??
Thanks Bruce
If it fails, you will be blamed... Let the homeowner use a wheelbarrow and his own pile of dirt.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
lol.....doesn't anyone notice how old this thread is ??

Cliffhanger
Last Activity: 11-21-2005 05:15 AM

·
Retired Contractor
1,197 Posts
lol.....doesn't anyone notice how old this thread is ??
Yeah, but its good for research.

As far as a 5' deep field. I guess it debends where you are in the country. Out here, the Board of Health will not allow that. You will have to add Bankrun to make the system work at 24" depth. I have worked on fields where we have brought in $17,000 worth of dirt! Damn expensive field!

·
Registered
80 Posts
In New Hampshire the code says " No more than 12-18 inches of backfill over the system" then 4-6" of topsoil to shed stormwater. If you put any more on top, it reduces oxygen tranfer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts