Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone add Shark Grip or other anti-slip to epoxy floors?
If you broadcast it, do you spread it by hand, tossing it up and out?
Do you use a seed spreader? A home-made salt shaker?

Or do you mix it into the top coat and roll it in? This method is difficult to keep it mixed up and spread evenly to me.

Greenwood Garage Floors

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mix it in per instructions on the can. Your trade is garage floors?
Yes. My personal preference is to broadcast it. I've followed mixing instructions before, but it sinks pretty quick and makes it difficult to get even coverage. I'm just if anyone has a better approach, that's all.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I posted the same question several months ago, It was on the old forum but i assume you can try searching for it. In my opinion an even distribution of shark grip is difficult to achieve. Broad casting on top of wet epoxy leaves a cloudy, dusty and inconsistent finish. Mixing it directly into the epoxy product always shows all the roller marks due to the shark grip building up where the roller overlaps.

The paint reps don't have a better suggestion, one suggestion made to me, that i have not tried is to put shark grip in the first coats and then roll a thinner second coat without the SG, the thought is enough texture will provide some texture in the finish, I am not so sure but have not tried it. Another option for foot traffic only is if SG is added, then adding paint flecks / chips distracts from the SG inconsistency issue some what.

My thoughts on the floors we do is if it is foot traffic only then epoxy provides enough slip resistance, the MSDS provides info on slip resistance ratings. The issue I have it when that floor is expected to be wet, such as when a wet vehicle sits on a garage floor as the wet epoxy is very slick. I make customers aware of this and offer to add SG BUT they can not have a shiney/ smooth AND slip resistant floor. A suggestion made to me was that perhaps I was putting too much SG in the epoxy and to try reducing that amount to the minimum.

In my opinion, epoxy alone is fine, but if slip resistance is an issue then i would prefer to offer something like a polymer floor. I don't do Polymer floors and so direct them on to those who do, It is something I have thought about getting into.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
^^^
Any textured paint is a biatch to get on the nap and roll out with even texture. Rolling on two coats and using less SG each time will not only make rolling it out easier, but also make it a more uniform textured coating as well. There might be a wait time between coats or have to roll another coat on before it fully dries. If anyone has added texture to paint (acoustic ceiling/sand additives) and tried rolling it out (foam nap or whatever), the paint in the pan or bucket soon turns into really thick liquid oatmeal/liquid sand due to more paint than texture additive being rolled on each time. Pretty soon it's 60% texture and 40% paint in the pan or bucket. 😨

1 - 5 of 5 Posts