Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background. I bought a 16' tool trailer a couple years ago but I had a fully stocked truck and never switched to pulling it full time. I put large tools in it (break, table saws) and various supplies and the crew takes it to job sites when needed while I continue working out of my truck. With the addition of another baby a month ago the writing on the wall suggests that the cab of my truck will no longer be devoted to tools.

So, I am considering buying another trailer and emptying my truck and pulling the trailer every day. I guess I'm looking for the pros and cons from guys that went from fully stocked trucks to being tied to a trailer all the time. Has the trailer made you more or less efficient and do you consider it a money maker? Things of that nature. I'm really on the fence here. Tanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I don't pull my trailer full time, do I can't answer your question.

But, have you thought of buying a dedicated, larger truck, like s cube van, etc.?

I live and work in the city so pulling a trailer full time really isn't feasible.

I added side boxes to my truck. Now, my trailer is like s garage.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have worked out of a transit connect, transit, veto, truck 6.5ft bed, truck 6.5ft bed with 5x8 trailer and my current setup truck 6.5ft bed with 7x14ft trailer.

Top 3 were
1.truck with 7x14
2.transit
3.veto

I wish I could go for a bigger trailer but that would mean bigger truck and more tools which I wouldn't use. So for now I'm sticking with the 7x14. I have more tools on that thing than any contractor would ever need for interior remodeling. If you lay out the trailer well you can get more tools and supply's than people with trailers double the size.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,967 Posts
I have worked out of a transit connect, transit, veto, truck 6.5ft bed, truck 6.5ft bed with 5x8 trailer and my current setup truck 6.5ft bed with 7x14ft trailer.

Top 3 were
1.truck with 7x14
2.transit
3.veto

I wish I could go for a bigger trailer but that would mean bigger truck and more tools which I wouldn't use. So for now I'm sticking with the 7x14. I have more tools on that thing than any contractor would ever need for interior remodeling. If you lay out the trailer well you can get more tools and supply's than people with trailers double the size.
I agree completely, a trailer is a must on occasions. I have a 7X10 and found its not quite big enough but my truck is a 8' bed with side wall tool boxes and I can pretty much fit whatever I need for everyday activity in it.

The trailer if properly laid out is a huge money maker when it comes to needing it all. If I could do it over I would have an 8X14 +2' on the vnose. And use the v part for just fasteners.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Look in the trailer set up thread and I think it will convince you.

I have a 8.5 x 24' and tow it to every job. Always have the right tool and parts, couldn't stay productive with out it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I've looked at the thread and I love the setups. I also have an 8' bed with rack and side boxes but all battery tools, nailers, and laser are in back seat which now needs to fit a 2nd baby seat. So I'm now ponde

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I have a trailer for sale, but it might be slightly larger than what you are looking for.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Big jobs I might leave it but thieves are horrible around here, so I usually tow it all the time. I don't mind, I have everything I need and I have a 350 dually to haul it, weighs 14k.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Oh I've looked at the thread and I love the setups. I also have an 8' bed with rack and side boxes but all battery tools, nailers, and laser are in back seat which now needs to fit a 2nd baby seat. So I'm now ponde
get a cap. I just threw a cap on my little truck and I now have like 10x more storage than I did with just a box. my truck is the smallest in our "fleet" though which also includes a Honda ridgeline and E250 van.

Attachments

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Pondering another trailer. You guys haul them every day every job huh?
My truck is pretty well stocked but my trailer still goes to practically every job. Past experience has told me that if I don't take it I'll not have something that I need.

I don't pull it everyday, on larger jobs I usually leave it on site. Of course I know the neighborhoods in this area very well. If I'm in a strange area I either take it back home with me or have the homeowners block it in with their vehicles.

A trailer is an absolute money maker of course it can't make you money if you leave it at your house or shop. It has to be on the job to be any benefit. Pull it everyday and you will see the difference.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
My truck is pretty well stocked but my trailer still goes to practically every job. Past experience has told me that if I don't take it I'll not have something that I need.

I don't pull it everyday, on larger jobs I usually leave it on site. Of course I know the neighborhoods in this area very well. If I'm in a strange area I either take it back home with me or have the homeowners block it in with their vehicles.

A trailer is an absolute money maker of course it can't make you money if you leave it at your house or shop. It has to be on the job to be any benefit. Pull it everyday and you will see the difference.
Exactly. I have had the home owner park in front of the tongue, barricaded the side door from the inside. Then put the bobcat against the ramp. You are not pulling that Bobcat away from the ramp, especially cause it is always sideways.

I did have a problem a few weeks ago though, broke a key off in the round super secure locks on the ramp door. All tools necessary to get in are already in the trailer...oh yeah, I had also barricaded the door because I had left trailer on scene.

A couple hours of actually taking off side door from the outside, then was able to get inside to get grinder and destroyed that f'ing lock! Got better kind of locks now, have the barrel keys so they don't brake as easy.

Once you get used to pulling it you always will. I hate not having the right tools and my trailer is setup like a shop. Very easy to work from.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Getting a trailer was the best thing I ever did.
I do all door work so a 6x12 with a 7' height handles 99% of the doors.
Only on some tight developments do I have a problem parking.
I end up using it almost all the time even when I don't actually have to.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I like the trailer. 8' x 18'. Bought it used. I would have bought a 7'6" x 16'. For me personally I prefer pulling that width. For myself, bigger is not always better. For the last year I couldn't park it on the job. Too tight. When I could, I was at least 1/2 block away.
Here is the difference for us. Beginning of the day, we would load up the tools we would need. Get to the job and unload. Sometimes we would forget something. At that point we would either go back and get it or do without (depending on distance). End of the day maybe unload, maybe just leave stuff in the truck and do it the next morning. Sometimes obviously tools need to be carried to job site each day. Our trucks are open in the back, so rain days everything has to be unloaded or covered. Covering never seems to work. Things get wet anyway.

With a trailer, we take it to the job. Leave it if possible. If we have to pull it back and forth, we just do it. Beginning of the day, open the doors and the tools are ready to go. End of the day, put things up (in the dry) and lock it up. The time savings right there, pay for the trailer pretty quick. Having almost all the tools with you helps out. No more wishing I had something. If the homeowner wants to add a small project, we can do it without having to go get some other tool.

I would say the trailer has helped 80% of the time. We still keep enough tools on the truck to do most all small jobs. I don't want to be tied to the trailer completely. Maybe after I do, I will wonder why I ever kept tools on the truck.

Another advantage of the trailer is not having to have a work truck on the job. In the past when my truck needed service it was easier to not work. Trying to figure out what tools I would need, going back to get more. Never having just what I needed. Now the tools are in the trailer. I can pull it with my personal truck. If my work truck goes down, my work doesn't.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
I have a large step van to store material and cut sidng in and a 8x20 trailer that has my brake and tools in setup as my shop. Everytime I try going to a job without the trailer I end up being short something. If on a large job try to leave it unless in a bad or real new area then just haul it home.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
What do you have?
It's made by Featherlite, 38' X 8.5' X 9', it comes with a built in Honda generator and a built in Champion compressor, it is prewired with outlets and air hook-ups both inside and out, it also has 5 ton winch mounted in the floor at the front of the trailer. I can remove the hydraulic car lift that is mounted in the back of the trailer, but I'm not going to be willing to shave a whole lot off the price for it, as it is tough to sell that on it's own.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts