Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some conflicting specs on ADA hall widths...

I'm trying to get a male/female multi bath to fit in a roughly 12'x20' space. This is for a restaurant remodel in IL.

I don't see why the hall needs to be this large... I read 42" then I find an extra 18" is needed on the pull side of a hall?

(also ignore the female bath intersects. The sink needs to be rotated as well as the second stall turning inward)

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the men's room there is no urinal and just one toilet so the entry door will suffice for privacy and you don't need the walls around the toilet. It is a one person use room. Therefore plenty of room.
Because you have room on either side of the men's room door and the women's' room is straight ahead the hall should be fine. You have the requires 18" next to the door. It looks ok to me. Check with the AHJ and or your arch.
Bill T

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In the men's room there is no urinal and just one toilet so the entry door will suffice for privacy and you don't need the walls around the toilet. It is a one person use room. Therefore plenty of room.
Because you have room on either side of the men's room door and the women's' room is straight ahead the hall should be fine. You have the requires 18" next to the door. It looks ok to me. Check with the AHJ and or your arch.
Bill T
Thank you Bill. Well here's the thing, I'd like to add a urinal to the Men's bath. It is for a bar/grill remodel, and in my opinion singles will cause far too much traffic backup. Hence my current issue.

The chimney/wait station to the left of the Men's bath can be removed, yet I'm not sure how much that will give.

Past that.. I'm trying to add a urinal/stall and I can't find a way to have the Men's entry door not swing into the clear space, and the only way to do so would be to shorten the width of the hallway.. I've been through many establishments where the hallways were definitely not 60" wide..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Soup
The hallways only need to be 60" if the door opens into the hall. Depending on the amount of wall space on either side of the door opening away from you, the hall only needs to be 42" or 48"
The ADA guidelines can be downloaded free from the .gov site. I will look for a link
Bill T

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soup
The hallways only need to be 60" if the door opens into the hall. Depending on the amount of wall space on either side of the door opening away from you, the hall only needs to be 42" or 48"
The ADA guidelines can be downloaded free from the .gov site. I will look for a link
Bill T
See that's what I understood as well... yet I was told otherwise. If I turned the door inward to the bathroom, it would not intersect the clear floor space, and it would leave a 19" depth when exiting the bath. I don't feel that would be considered a hall and applicable to the extra 18" requirement..

42" is what I read everywhere. Perhaps I'm not reading the right docs. Please do let me know what you find.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The doors to the restrooms; Don't you need 12" on the push side of the door and 18" on the pull? Your urinal screen looks closer than 18" and it doen't look like you have 12" on the hall side of the women RR. It's all about clear floor space these days. I think the figures are in section 404 of the 2010 ADAAG code. (Virginia is using ANSI, not ADA)

I know I'm late to the party

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The doors to the restrooms; Don't you need 12" on the push side of the door and 18" on the pull? Your urinal screen looks closer than 18" and it doen't look like you have 12" on the hall side of the women RR. It's all about clear floor space these days. I think the figures are in section 404 of the 2010 ADAAG code. (Virginia is using ANSI, not ADA)

I know I'm late to the party
I believe it's 12" if you have a latch/lock restroom. This would be a free swinging door.

And yes the urinal screen needs to be moved.

Overall I've added some extra space above to get these to flow a little nicer. Thank you for the input though :)

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Generally, when The Various States adopt their own codes, they must be at least as restrictive as the Federal law.
Trust me, any law that Illinois comes up with that overrides federal will be a whole lot more restrictive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trust me, any law that Illinois comes up with that overrides federal will be a whole lot more restrictive.
We're special here in Illinois. I wish Illinois would adopt an ICC model plumbing code rather than having their own special code. It's annoying. Everything is bass-ackwards.

I haven't looked at the specific issue he is referring as to what the Illinois Accessibility Code says but he should be using it rather than ADA. One small difference in clearance requirements could really hose you in a tight toilet room like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts