Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a wall is constructed of 2x4 with 1/2" drywall on both sides, what is the actual thickness?

Since everything is nominal I'm not 100% sure. My guess is: 4" actual thickness. Or is 1/2" drywall actually 1/2"?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The wall is 4 1/2" Grumpy. 2X4 as we all know is 1 1/2" X 3 1/2". And 1/2" board is actually 1/2".

U

·
0 Posts
Actually...standard door jambs come in 4-9/16" for 1/2" drywall. And that doesn't always work perfect as some 2x4 stock is 3-5/8", plus figure that the drywall is not always dead tight, and the fact that drywall has to finished with mud, which can vary in thickness.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Unregistered, where are you buying 3 5/8" 2by's? I'd quit shopping there.

U

·
0 Posts
Unregistered said:
Actually...standard door jambs come in 4-9/16" for 1/2" drywall. And that doesn't always work perfect as some 2x4 stock is 3-5/8", plus figure that the drywall is not always dead tight, and the fact that drywall has to finished with mud, which can vary in thickness.
Um...For sanity, Boardslinger is correct. For arguement sake...lets say you did come across a 2X4 that was 3-5/8, Don't use it. But, if by some slim minute chance you do find one and it is being used, and you can't manipulate that 1/8 of an inch in your installation, come back to the boards and we'll help you out =)

On the other hand. No house is the same, especially when it comes to the older style homes and the even older homes that actually have 2"x4" studs not 1 1/2x3 1/2 studs. But that's where experience and knowledge come into play.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last time I got hit with a 2x4, it was swung by my mother in an attempt to stop my brother and I from killing each other, this was about 7 years ago and I forgot much of what happened that day and for a few days after.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
This is why I want to change the policy and make everyone register to post.... I can't tell who is saying what.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a trim carpenter and I rip all my cased opening jamb at 4 5/8". This covers any inperfections in the wall will sheetrock mud. Stock jamb comes 4 9/16" and I found that this is never good enough. I always wish for that extra 1/16".

Sunnyholme

1 - 11 of 11 Posts