Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I hope some of you might be able to help with a few questions...

I have a potential solution to a problem I've encountered but need some feedback first.

When in need of a temporary support for a load, I assume most of you use an acrow?
Do you also use them for raising for small adjustment? Lintels, beams, steels etc?

If so, what would you say is the approx percentage of occasions when the acrow is used for raising as opposed to being used solely as a temporary support?

Can you think of any situations where you have been frustrated using an acrow?

Really appreciate any feedback. I will let you know what the solution is when I am confident I actually have a solution!!

Many thanks

Chris

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,348 Posts
Screw lally column? That would work. Along with a bottle jack with a 4x4 for adjustment.

·
3rd Generation
257 Posts
I have a load of them, must be over 50 years old. I use them often for installing headers or leveling. I put two planks on the ceiling, one or two on the floor depending. When you need them they are priceless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments folks.
Glad we all know what I'm referring to, however you wish to spell it Sunkist. ;)
It appears you use them solely for supporting. Have you ever used them for raising an inch or two? I know I have, (and realise they're not made for that!) have any of you?
Cheers again.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Dont use a shore jack to hoist something.. If you want a jerky.. slow unstable process then go right ahead.
Get the beam close within 3 or 4" and then level it with a shore jack (a crow)
Shore jacks have alot of uses, shoring being the big one, ive used them to push bowed forms back into place.. never for raising.
Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.