Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Similar to Thermally Modified Wood

This is similar to the thermally modified wood, different process but much the same internal results. Doubt will ever be used for framing as I would expect it will much much in the same price range as other modified woods. But still is kind of neat to see what technology can do. Picture a whole load of SYP done this way and all being flat and straight after sitting in the sun for a week. Don't know if the wood will do as they say, as I have never worked with it. But I do like what is happening in the Europe with lumber technology, we in North America need to catch up to them. Otherwise North American Lumber industry will end up following G.M.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Right now price for deck framing material is not a problem, I would pay a lot for anything that works. Specks for this kind of lumber seems to be non existing from you or them. Or any real world testing.

I like euros, they have some good beer, nice looking women, There are some really nice built from the ground up Harleys in France and I like the way they Farm. I dont much care for your tone far as them being better or smarter than the USA, In fact I dont like it at all. J.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
After reading all I wanted to I am left with the question>> WTF is this stuff?? and is it good for framing. J.
I doubt it, all they really show off is cladding & decking - nothing structural
If as NaturalWood says & the process is similar to the thermal process, some aspects of the wood will perform better, but it does so at the expense of its strength
I love how they have had all this extensive testing done, with no links to any of the tests done

... I do like what is happening in the Europe with lumber technology, we in North America need to catch up to them. Otherwise North American Lumber industry will end up following G.M.
As for the EU process vs. North America, hmmm all I recall them doing is stamping the crap out of their product, while we created OSB, IJoists, etc... In all seriousness, what are they doing that is so much better?

·
Registered
142 Posts
You need to read what I said a bit closer. I said North America! Remember that Canada is a large player in the lumber industry just like the US. I did not say anything about US, it was about North America, US and Cda.

There was a page on their site that dealt with tests done.

As for price for framing. I doubt if many people would want to pay $20 for a 2*6 stud. Would be pretty expensive framing.

And their website is pretty clear on there being no reduction in strength. But I am sure if you enquired they would have it available for you.

As for attitude, John I seem to see you berating a lot of people so why should I expect me to be any different.

Just ask. :rolleyes:

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
NW - I saw their test page, but unlike I-Joists, or LVL's they don't list the test results. (it looks more like an Icenyne page when they try to skirt a few issues) I know they stated that there is no loss of strength, but again all they basically show is siding. Siding & decking is a lot different that framing materials. I can only go by what they show & state. As for the price - there are people out there that will pay it, if the proof is there, unfortunately there are not many around me.

I was serious about wanting to know what the EU is doing so much better when it comes to lumber, etc... That is a pretty big statement to make & I would like the reasoning behind it.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
You need to tread real lightley with a statement like that,natural,or who ever the Hell you are, just be very carefull with your self.

Berating smorating, you come up with something worth while, the Jon Mon will be the first to take notes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
SLS,

What I mean is that from a business point at their end it makes sense to market towards decking and siding not framing as it will be far harder to develop a market with the high prices they would need to charge. I would assume that is why the website focuses on decking. Also, I am not sure about USA, but I beleive the lumber has to be certified for contruction grade, where as I don't beleive it does for siding and decking. If you government is anything like ours it takes sometime to get that process completed and perhaps it is not done yet.

As to EU, small countries over there seem to put more government money into forestry research. Finland is pretty small relatively speaking but their forestry research seems to be way above ours. The reason I had mentioned that is that thermo wood has been in Europe for about 15 years and yet it is virtually unknow in NA. Anyways, if I am wrong I am wrong. NBD.

To change the subject a bit. I have to tell you about a person I was trying to sell thermo wood to for decking. Was a "green village" about 30 houses being built and all had to be built green. Was not interested in the thermo wood as the fuel to get it from plant to the village was too much, and thus not green enough. But looking in one of the houses, they had a Douglas Fir beam in the ceiling, that I am guessing was 8" * 18' by 40' long. All one piece, absolutely beautiful piece of wood. But it was ok as it came from an old growth forest..... To me that is pretty inefficient use of wood. I guess I am not green enough.

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems interesting enough to me to want to learn more.

I think there could be a lot of great exterior uses for this. If it can be produced sustainably and delivers on it's claims I would imagine the price will only come down as production increases.

Accoya’s 60-year life

There may be no more tree species to discover, but Ecobuild nevertheless saw the launch of a new kind of timber on the market. Accoya is plantation-grown pine that has been bathed in acetic acid, a process that prevents it from absorbing water or moisture. Without associated problems of decay, movement or shrinkage, Accoya’s expected design life is extended to a guaranteed 60 years.

Accoya is awaiting full certification, but the BRE and Trada have been involved in testing it and have confirmed these estimates in letters. The product has been under development since 2003 by British firms BSW Timber and Titanwood, which have invested in a £30 million production facility in the Netherlands. For the pilot projects, BSW has worked with nine joinery firms on windows, doors, conservatories and cladding. The material is also suitable for structural applications — the Dutch town of Sneek has commissioned a road bridge in Accoya

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3083559

A stunning 450ton wooden road bridge, the first in the world to be made entirely of the revolutionary modified wood Accoya®, is now in place.
The £3 million Akkerwinde bridge, boasting a span of 150ft and a rise of more than 50ft, will now serve as an elegant gateway in to the city of Sneek, Netherlands.
The bridge will support traffic to a weight of100 tons on a daily basis when it opens early in 2009, making it one of the few wooden heavy traffic road bridges anywhere in the world today.

http://www.approvedbusiness.co.uk/ViewArticle_1877.aspx

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the most detail I could find related to strength, not independent or verified.

Strength & Hardness Properties

The Accoya® wood production process does not weaken the original wood species – in fact, its hardness is slightly improved - nor does it compromise its bending strength. Indeed, no modification process exists which offers the performance benefits and retained physical properties of Accoya® wood.

Comparison of the technical specification of different wood species and Accoya® wood using various source species. Accoya® wood1 based on a typical pine source material; Accoya® wood2 based on beech source material.

"Janka Hardness and Bending Strength are based on wood conditioned at 65% RH and 20°C. Values are heavily influenced by local growth conditions."

http://www.titanwood.com/strength-a-hardness.html

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
This kinda thing is the same thing they said when acq came on, its been used in Euro for ten bazillon years. You Folks are just not with it. Sure its as simple as that.

There is a way to use Borax with a second retort process that had high potental, I was ready to order it the plant was real close to East Teak, The money was good, The shipping was good. Acq got in there and Kicked Their ass. Same thing mcq did to acq.

Is my Goverment the same as yours...Exactly the same..Money talks and noboddy walks..

I am all for new movement far as treated lumber goes, what we are working with is a result of Business not Quality. Just dont go telling me Euro does it better than the USA.... for a lot of reasons. J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts