Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am coming up against a unique problem.

There is a packing pad that backs on to an alley way, 18'7" opening that needs a fence/gate.

Due to the narrowness of the alleyway the open gate needs to be at least 14' wide, leaving a standard sliding gate out of the question.

My plan was either a 3 or 4 part sliding gate where each section covers the previous. The owner doesn't mind this idea, but isn't thrilled about the excess depth, and the fact that it wont be straight when it is closed.

My next thought was to build it as, essentially, a bi-fold door, built in 9 panels. Modify a garage door opener to pull it in and out, and run it off a standard track.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried something like this before?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quite interested what you end up doing here. I have come accross this sort of problem on residential driveways a couple of times. Can't use swinging gates due to slope of concrete, no space for a slider or garden gate in the way.

Both stacking sliders and bifold setup would be a pain for the users plus you will need a head track, no?

I assume you need to get trucks in and out so you if you have an upper track it has to be quite high?

I am also assuming that for space or concrete level reasons, double swinging gates are out.

Either way, unless you can find a manufacturer guaranteed system, you're gonna have to bid the hell out of it to cover all the tweaking.

There is a company here that does a garage roller door that rolls horizontally. Not actually a gate and you need a top track.

I can't help wondering if you could use the old tilting garage door mechanisms horizontally with wheels to support it on the underside. It could also be motorized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to the width of the alleyway access is off of (9') an opening gate won't be enough, plus automating it is tricky when you want to leave and can't see if you are opening your door into anyone else.

I was intending an 8' tall header, with the track on it, supported from a pair of 2x8 cross beams.

A c channel track, with swivel hangers would do the trick, and a garage door opener attached to a cable guide to run it would work. The main concern is making them turn and collapse on each other smoothly.

No rollers or bottom pieces of any sort, due to unevenness of the ground, as well as those pesky Canadian winters, and the snow that comes with them.

I do like the idea of the old style garage door though.

The client is a good one of long history, so we'll have an open agreement for tweaking. :)

Edit: If you have seen one in a theatre, it is a variation of a Traveller track system.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How about curtains;)

There's also boom gates. They are the fastest opening gates you can get, you can buy them off the shelf, simple mechanics and no head track.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them with infill panels that drop down as the boom comes down and I can't see why you couldn't make one as high as you want.

Alternatively, you could have the swivelling infill panels so they bolt to one side of the boom, instead of underneath. If it drops, say 4', it could extend up maybe 3.5', leaving the boom itself at the right height to stop a ramraid.

A double post at each end, or even just a c channel receiver on the ground, would make the infill panel secure from pedestrians. That and spikes. And a big dog. And machine guns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fence is up, solution found.

Talked to the Neighbour, he has agreed to allow the sliding fence along his garage, attached to the side. So a single 15'long fence slides to reveal the drive, and 3' opening door clear it entirely.

Works quite well too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts