Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Automate Anything
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but...

You gonna make sure everyone is CEDIA certified too? It's well worth having so you can standardize on what everyone knows.
Absolutely. CEDIA is standard. The only exceptoin would be if the state where installer is located is requiring LV license, then CEDIA is a plus. Also exception is made to Licensed Electricians. Also we require background check and refference check. We are a decent revenue channel for partner installers.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Absolutely. CEDIA is standard. The only exceptoin would be if the state where installer is located is requiring LV license, then CEDIA is a plus. Also exception is made to Licensed Electricians. Also we require background check and refference check. We are a decent revenue channel for partner installers.
Whats the benefits of becoming a dealer/partner with you? I need a bit of a nudge, I can get those prices all day long.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive met plenty of "licensed electricians"... and let me tell you, i theres not many i would let near my home theater.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Ive met plenty of "licensed electricians"... and let me tell you, i theres not many i would let near my home theater.
I agree, I've fixed alot of jobs wired improperly by electricians, good money in it. They are pretty good at putting in switches for lighting control....onece you explaine how its wired completely different then normal switches.

I have very mixed feelings about CEDIA, I go every year and take courses (although it turns into more of a binge drinking expo), some are great some are a waste of time. Any muppet can shell out a few dollars and sit through a few classes and get certified.

·
Automate Anything
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Licensed or Not... no brainer

I agree, I've fixed alot of jobs wired improperly by electricians, good money in it. They are pretty good at putting in switches for lighting control....onece you explaine how its wired completely different then normal switches.

I have very mixed feelings about CEDIA, I go every year and take courses (although it turns into more of a binge drinking expo), some are great some are a waste of time. Any muppet can shell out a few dollars and sit through a few classes and get certified.
Just to clear the air. It is easier to get Electrician CEDIA certified than to license CEDIA Pro to be a journeyman. For packaged installs it works well. Complex installs are managed by our team.

CEDIA CE credits are more marketing talk than education. And CEDIA test is not what it should be (being PC). The only way to know if the installer is good is to check real references and look at his jobs. Electrician or CEDIA doesn’t matter.

Lastly, we have a huge liability if unlicensed CEDIA Pro installs wall outlets or relocates plugs or switches. We are much less exposed as a company if =Licensed Journeyman installing a Cat5 cable. Hope this makes sense.

Personally I think that all wiring should be done by licensed person, and only if this licensing is meaningful and based on hours of field experience and apprenticeship.

My $0.02

·
Electronics Expert
38 Posts
Hehe i have an Elan Home Systems installer certification... and this other little thing... god... what is it called... a bachelor of science in electrical engineering... would that do? :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ready to Work!

I have an EF license, but I have only worked in commerical highrise building doing complex building automation, fire alarm work and phone/ data systems. I would like to expand into another area. I work in the Miami / Ft. lauderdale area. I am more comfortable doing commerical automation projects, but I am willing to scale down in these tough times. Please contact me at [email protected] if you think I can fit into your network. :biggrin:

-David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts