Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Youngster
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had our local home show this week. I went through all the higher end houses to check out the other builders. Not a really big city, so there were only about six houses that I would call high end.

Anyway, it seemed as though every single nail hole was dimpled under the paint. I asked around and contacted the painters. Crawfords putty without exception. They all claim they won't use anything else because of speed. The results are completely unacceptable to me.

I expect not to see any dimples in my trim. Are they just becoming acceptable now?

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
That's not acceptable in any of my jobs. If they want to use that product, budget in a second hit or use something else. When building high end homes, no exceptions period. If I were building track homes however......:whistling

·
A bit abrasive.
1,529 Posts
I have used Crawford's putty and much like any product meant for true professionals (not a D.I.Y. product), it requires a skilled touch to get it to look as it was intended. Crawford's is also not a material I would ever consider for use on a job that needs to be done "fast" because it is heavier than most fillers and must be applied a certain way to prevent blemishes in the final coat.
It sounds like the painting crew was unfamiliar with the product.

Poor preparation of surfaces should never be acceptable, but the way things are going lately anything is better than paying a fair price for proper work...

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Just had our local home show this week. I went through all the higher end houses to check out the other builders. Not a really big city, so there were only about six houses that I would call high end.

Anyway, it seemed as though every single nail hole was dimpled under the paint. I asked around and contacted the painters. Crawfords putty without exception. They all claim they won't use anything else because of speed. The results are completely unacceptable to me.

I expect not to see any dimples in my trim. Are they just becoming acceptable now?
If it was MDF, you're gonna have a tough time hiding the nail holes without loosing your shirt.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts