Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my mom is building a pool and wants the grass to come right up to the edge with some pavers right before the edge of the pool. i used to be a landscaper and know how messy it gets mowing and weedeating. is there any kind of grass or dirt that is acceptable for this style?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so my mom is building a pool and wants the grass to come right up to the edge with some pavers right before the edge of the pool. i used to be a landscaper and know how messy it gets mowing and weedeating. is there any kind of grass or dirt that is acceptable for this style?
so it’s not so messy^

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Can’t see it. Foot traffic, chlorine, getting in pool when trimming. Tracking grass, dirt in pool. Flagstone or cool stone would be my choice

Mike

·
Registered
Remodel
28,957 Posts
Astroturf.

Either that, or use whatever the local golf courses use for putting greens. I'm not joking , typically in ground pools are backfilled with well draining material like sand or gravel. Just like a putting green, and you want something that can be keot short and still be healthy.

It's all ending up in the pool eventually unless it gets vacuumed or bagged

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Astroturf.

Either that, or use whatever the local golf courses use for putting greens. I'm not joking , typically in ground pools are backfilled with well draining material like sand or gravel. Just like a putting green, and you want something that can be keot short and still be healthy.

but if i use that type of grass i would need a mower that cuts a sports grass length right?

·
Registered
Remodel
28,957 Posts
Run the string trimmer as low RPMs as you can so the stuff doesn't fly around as badly. Saves on the string, too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Run the string trimmer as low RPMs as you can so the stuff doesn't fly around as badly. Saves on the string, too
i never thought of that. i usually don’t keep a guard on my weed eater will that fling anything in the pool?

·
Registered
Remodel
28,957 Posts
but if i use that type of grass i would need a mower that cuts a sports grass length right?
Correct. The bottom line is the step height going from the soil surface to the paver surface has to be more than the longest the grass is going to get before it gets mown or the bottom of the mower sides. For a normal lawn that gets cut about 2 1/2" a 4" thick pavers works. 3" will also work, you just wind up getting more stuff in the pool.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,957 Posts
i never thought of that. i usually don’t keep a guard on my weed eater will that fling anything in the pool?
Guard doesn't make a difference.

The more the RPMs, the further stuff flies. Low RPMs give a chance to leaf blow it off the pavers instead if skimming it out of the pool, and the filter eventually removing whatever you didn't skim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guard doesn't make a difference.

The more the RPMs, the further stuff flies. Low RPMs give a chance to leaf blow it off the pavers instead if skimming it out of the pool, and the filter eventually removing whatever you didn't skim.
didn’t know that. i appreciate it!

·
Registered
GC
588 Posts
Astroturf.

Astroturf is the only sensible answer. Grass will die, and until it does you're going to spend all of your free time cleaning it out of the pool. This isn't the worst idea I've heard this year, but it's in the top five.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts