Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
One thing that I find a lot of new guys don’t realize is that a lot of Job site talk it direct and to the point for efficiency sake.
It’s not being an ass when you say “pass me that tool”, just more efficient than “can you please pass me that tool”.
I’ve seen a lot of people get bent out of shape over that little difference

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that a lead carpenters exasperation and frustration with new guys can be the result of a simple disconnect. After you've been in a trade for a bunch of years it can be hard to relate to the new guys who have little or no experience.

Think of all the carpentry terminology and fundamentals that you probably take for granted. How to handle heavy materials like trusses or 12' sheets of drywall without hurting yourself, how to cross cut a 2x6 square by eye etc. There are a ton of ways that new guys can fumble a task that will leave a busy lead carpenter exasperated and frustrated.

A good lead carpenter will take ownership over their apprentices success and ask themselves "what part of my instructions failed the new guy" rather than asking themselves "whats wrong with that new guy?".

·
Eater of sins.
4,497 Posts
As a young lead carpenter (19 yr old). Leading multi million dollar homes and building projects, and putting on my bags every single day to surpass expectations as often as I can muster.

I can attest to a lack of accountability and a surplus of abuse in the workplace. And yes that’s common, and yes I deal with it from my superiors, but I personally try to be opposite, it’s true that people don’t work harder for someone that doesn’t respect them. I’ve had people get hurt on the job because they were angry or emotional because of irrational attitudes and overall an unprofessional outlook. I try to make the site as enjoyable and respectful as possible (while of course having banter and jokes, this is still framing guys)

but I can find that with the two worst & newest guys, I can outwork a crew with a 15 yr experienced lead and the next two best framers. And I believe the reason to be the environment I try to encourage. We work more efficiently and harder together when we want to help eachother out because we genuinely care.

i know these environments are few and far between. But the factors weigh against me, experience, age, physical strength. But my result is quicker, cleaner, and more consistent all the time.

I have noticed that you think very highly of yourself.

Just saying.

Andy.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
One thing that I find a lot of new guys don’t realize is that a lot of Job site talk it direct and to the point for efficiency sake.
It’s not being an ass when you say “pass me that tool”, just more efficient than “can you please pass me that tool”.
I’ve seen a lot of people get bent out of shape over that little difference

True.

We may have to ask a new helper for a tool.

But if you have to even ask an experienced helper for a tool, you aren’t training him well. It’s on you. If you additionally feel the need to yell at him, you’re not half as good as you think you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 44 of 44 Posts