Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it. Seems like every company I work for that the lead carpenter is kind of abusive. Not a whole lot to me per se but definitely enough to those around me to where it's not a fun and positive workplace. I'm also noticing however much the boss says in the interview that we dont accept anything but perfect work seems to be overridden by the lead on site telling us to get things done faster and complain if we have to redo something because it isn't right. The company I'm with now is a high end finish crew around Boston and the company before was a high end remodeler in Rhode Island (I left mostly because I have no interest in working outside anymore and I didn't like how they weren't toonconcerned with safety while demoing). I find carpentry to be very rewarding work when given the right circumstances, but I'm starting to think it could be time for a change considering this labor of love is not very loving

·
Radical Basement Dweller
23,711 Posts
Seems like every company I work for that the lead carpenter is kind of abusive
I'm starting to think it could be time for a change considering this labor of love is not very lovin
Not knowing you or everything about the circumstances, when I read that "every company I work for the lead carpenter is kind of abusive".....

it sounds like it's time for a change.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,716 Posts
Plenty of workplaces are abusive to one extent or another, not just construction.

The 22yo that wanted to work construction that I know, but everyone he worked for was abusive found his nonabusuve job.

He now works at a medical marijuana dispensary. Apparently, they're all mellow there.

True story.

Early on, a black friend of mine showed me how to handle it / not react to it. Water off a duck's back.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,716 Posts
Do tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He never lost his cool, never was upset by it. He didn't let it ruin having a good day. Water off a ducks back was exactly what he told me about it. Much easier said than done.

A lot if times he'd laugh about whatever occurred later. He could see it coming ahead of the time, and could get into the person's head.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
When your running a crew, there are all kinds of hurdles. New hires that are lost, plan errors, material delays & deadlines just to name a few. All while trying to sail a tough reach keeping everybody happy top to bottom. I think a lot of it is stress, unintentional & the mindset of that’s the way they have to come across. OP mentioned “kind of abusive” & “things having to be redone. He also said he didn’t like working outside & the labor of love was not too loving. So what is kind of abusive? Should high end work be redone. Granted none of us are perfect. Can any field choose if they work outside or not. As far as labor of love not so loving, I damn sure don’t get that one. As Robbie said look elsewhere

Mike

·
Registered
176 Posts
So it. Seems like every company I work for that the lead carpenter is kind of abusive. Not a whole lot to me per se but definitely enough to those around me to where it's not a fun and positive workplace. I'm also noticing however much the boss says in the interview that we dont accept anything but perfect work seems to be overridden by the lead on site telling us to get things done faster and complain if we have to redo something because it isn't right. The company I'm with now is a high end finish crew around Boston and the company before was a high end remodeler in Rhode Island (I left mostly because I have no interest in working outside anymore and I didn't like how they weren't toonconcerned with safety while demoing). I find carpentry to be very rewarding work when given the right circumstances, but I'm starting to think it could be time for a change considering this labor of love is not very loving
Have you tried communicating with the lead or owner. Sometimes it works, I would want to know if I’m looking at a worker’s comp. claim because someone is screwing around during a demo job. You’ve been around this forum since 14 maybe you are ready to be the lead or as others have said go on your own. Skilled workers are worth their weight in osb at the moment, sounds like you have valuable skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Residential Remodels/Additions
194 Posts
Though verbal abuse in our industry is probably more common than in others it is not universal. Some guys get prickly when expectations are not met. Sometimes these expectations are not clearly stated.

Some guys just screw up all the time. This can be due to lack of training, lack of common sense, or many other factors. In my region contractors are desperate for carpenters, leads, and superintendents. This has allowed me to be choosy and find companies with good culture. Maybe next time you are interviewing think about the interview process as going both ways. Quiz them about what they value and how they treat their crews.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s your insecurity. When you know what you’re doing and can stand up for yourself
nobody will abuse you, maybe try once or twice . So, stop being afraid stand for your self.
He doesn't rmess with me but messes with the younger guys. Makes it not a positive workplace to be a part of

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t know

I don’t know you, or the guys you’ve worked for

Maybe you have a knack for picking $)(tty companies to work for.

Maybe you are kind of soft and need to be ridden hard.

Who’s to say.
They don't mess with me but they get really irritated with the younger guys and it's not fun to be around

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
As 7d said, we don’t know your situation. But — you’ve been here 7 years. So being in the biz at least that long, if you haven’t learned to block negative chit out as hdavis touched on maybe it’s time for another line of work. If you stay in this biz it’s going to be around. Put yourself in the leads shoes, all the young guys attitudes he’s dealt with among other responsibilities would make anybody raw & on edge. So look through his eyes & wear his bags for a couple weeks. Or, if you start your own biz that will give you the chance to look through his eyes & what he deals with

Mike

·
Kowboy
2,160 Posts
When the abusive lead runs through enough guys that won't take his crap, his boss will notice and act accordingly. Not that that does you any good, except to know that karma's a *****.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts