Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! my name is Eddy and I work for a sign contractor in the South Bay and port of LA area. I've been doing this for a year and a half now and enjoy every part of it, I know sign contractors are pretty low on the totem poll compared to you guys but this job has become a stepping stone for me has made me want to move onto bigger and better things.

I started out as an installer and boom truck operator and then got into the sales side of the business about six months later. Our shop is small consisting of our boss, a graphic artist/fabricator and me the installer/sales person. This has put me in a very unique position as an employee, I have the ability to go out and pound the pavement with flyers and business cards until I find a job while being paid hourly for doing it plus %10 commission when it is complete :clap:

Anyway that's enough for now I would say any questions feel free to ask but I know 1/1000 of what you guys know and am here mostly to browse and learn things like your guy's terminology and good tool choices. I've been lurking for almost a year now after finding this forum when searching google for "appropriate contractor attire" and was directed to a thread here.

Anyway have a nice day and don't expect to see many post from me. :no:

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Welcome and don't sell yourself short.
That is the exact sentence that came into my head while I read this. (I must have watched CaddyShack too many times)

OP, you are completely welcome here and we might even learn something from you too. We're all in this together.

Welcome to CT!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welcome and don't sell yourself short.
Thank you.

Once I was given the opportunity to work in a trade I quickly realized I love the environment of an unfinished job site and doing the work to get it done. It is gratifying to drive past projects I have worked on seeing the final result and knowing I did that or helped out on it, I just wish I was responsible for more.

To be truthful with you all I am envious of you craftsman and tradesmen with your bigger equipment, bigger tools and if you have a fleet of semis you are the man! :clap:

Welcome to ContractorTalk. What types of signs, mostly?
Everything except high-rise buildings requiring cranes and high way billboards.

All wooden signs are made in shop, all foam letters are cut in shop, all sign faces and banners are fabricated in shop with vinyl cut or printed from our machines. We have a small parking lot in which we use for vehicle graphics/lettering. Neon, channel letters and boxes, are outsourced to long time suppliers some going back fifteen years who do reliable, quality work, and we install all of it!

We can also get our hands on specialty items like those stupid flags you see everywhere now at the gas stations and cell phone stores.

I have a few pictures of our projects if you're interested. I'll attach them.

Gardena, CA

Lomita, CA

Redondo Beach, CA (That sign box was rusted out, we tore it apart and lifted it off and lifted a new one in place, I really wish I had pics of the lift but I was the man signaling the crane.)

My new Motto:

That is the exact sentence that came into my head while I read this. (I must have watched CaddyShack too many times)

OP, you are completely welcome here and we might even learn something from you too. We're all in this together.

Welcome to CT!
Thank you kind sir, I appreciate the reply.

Although I'm pretty sure I'll be doing most of the learning. :laughing:

Yes to that. Sounds like a pretty good gig to me.:thumbsup:
Indeed it is. I find marketing great not only am I getting paid by the hour but I get to be out in the fresh air getting some sun and checking out the ladies, while choosing the projects I want to do and the clients I want to work with. The rest of the calls trickle in from my well placed flyers and the business cards I have handed out or slipped under the door of a building for lease.

The only problem I run into is when we have several of the bosses projects lined up in a week and I have no time for my sales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.