Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with replacing these things?

For the last year the abs pump & light would flash on my front right wheel. Only once in while when the wheel is cocked.

I replaced the brakes last weekend and the rotors. I dont know if a sticky caliper would cause the abs to bind but it doesnt pull when braking. The outside pad was way more worn than the inside, but that could be the abs.
The caliper slides were fine. Apparently the sensor, due to rust could be a major hassle to remove and trigger a new hub if it breaks. Dont want to risk that.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
its prob a bad sensor my 06 chev had a similar issue. turns out they had a recall out on all chev trucks between 2006- 2010 models that were coming up with any one of 9 different abs codes.. in that case all sensors were to be replaced and the computer reset under warrenty..

it happend on mine twice in a year and a half.. i paid $100 total for deductible for both trips and warrenty covered about $2200

Reactions: Tom M

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well warranty is gone. Replacement seems simply but I have been warned if it breaks I need to buy a whole new hub too. Hate to pay 6 bills for a $65 part.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Easy to change, remove allen cap screw, gently twist the sensor it will come out. If the sensor breaks, just drill it through. You will need to remove the wheel.

A cracked attenuator will cause the same problem. That would mean changing the hub.

Tom

·
Contractor
7,387 Posts
Sometimes simply removing and cleaning the sensor will correct the issue.

They are pretty tough, I don't know anyone that has busted one off trying to remove it.

Get in there, and get it done.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of cleaning or lube will I need if I go for it......maybe I will PB blast it a day in advance. I think its safe for that o-ring

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
The o-ring is silicone, the PB should not hurt it. It most likely won't get to it either.

If you want to lube the oring for the install head over to HD, get faucet lube. It is an o-ring lubricant. Good to have some around anyways.

Did you have the codes read so you know which one to replace?

Tom

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tom, yes the code signaled the wheel that was most worn.
I was thinking it may need dielectric grease or something. Cleaning the inside was a concern too. I guess I can try it and feel it out. Maybe I'll get lucky.

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Thanks Tom, yes the code signaled the wheel that was most worn.
I was thinking it may need dielectric grease or something. Cleaning the inside was a concern too. I guess I can try it and feel it out. Maybe I'll get lucky.
You do not need the dielectric grease on the connector. Nothing on the end of the sensor.

There is nothing really to clean out. You can try cleaning the end of the sensor and reinstalling it, but other than that it is just a hole in the steering knuckle that aligns the sensor to the attenuator.

Tom

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Come on.... Stupid not to have on this truck. My last truck was stick. It was much easier on brakes. I miss stick really. This is the only automatic i ever owned.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Come on.... Stupid not to have on this truck. My last truck was stick. It was much easier on brakes. I miss stick really. This is the only automatic i ever owned.
Engine braking really saves the breaks.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
The pad wear indicates a sticky pin/slide or a caliper sticking. The ABS sensor should come right out as long as you do not strip or break the bolt. I would clean the top of it and inspect the tone ring for corrosion, chips, cracks or water. Otherwise put it back in and run it. If the wheel bearing is tight and it still keeps tripping the ABS then you have the option of replacing the bearing or pull the fuse. This will turn on your ABS and brake lights but no more ABS issues as it will be off. I myself just went trough this on my GMC 1500. Both front wheel bearings are new as well as sensors. On occasion without notice the ABS will come on during a stop and stay on not letting the truck stop. PITA in traffic or when plowing. I said screw it and yanked the fuse, no more problems!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts